We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where is the best place to stay in Kefalonia?

London
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
where is the best place to stay in Kefalonia?

HI, we're heading to kefalonia at the start of September ans we really want to know where the best place on the island is to stay.

We're planning on island hopping in between but we're definitly going to fly into kefalonia.

We're unsure wether we should just book flights or book a cheap package and have a base in kefaloina.

I've read that Argostoli is lovely but as it's my first time visiting Greece it's all a bit up in the air..

Last but not least how much can we expect to pay per night for a decentr 2/3* accomadation..

Thanks soo much in advance.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where is the best place to stay in Kefalonia?

It depends what you mean by "best", best for what? Beaches, nightlife, scenery, relaxing, culture, ease of travelling? What are you looking for?

I'm not sure I would describe Argostoli as lovely - it's mainly a working town it but does have some interesting areas and a pleasant harbour.

Skala and Lassi are the most popular resorts, with a good choice of accommodation. Sorry, I can't help with prices as I never stay in hotels.

Do a bit of reading and research using the "search" function on this forum and you'll find lots of useful info to help you plan your trip. Enjoy Greece!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where is the best place to stay in Kefalonia?

Hi there

Firstly, with "flights only" now being so dear to Greece, you'd probably be better off booking a package which will in all likelihood will be cheaper than just the flight.

A base on the island really does depend upon your preferences as far as what you like to do. Kefalonia has resorts ranging from tranquil and laid back to quite lively.

Argostoli has some great sights to see although as has been pointed out, it is a working port with nothing much that survived the 1953 quake.

From Kefalonia, the most popular island trip is to Ithaca and this can be done with a rented car or via an organised excursion. You can also take the ferry from Fiskardo to Nidri and Vassiliki in Lefkada and from Pessada to Zakynthos although you really need to spend at least a day or two on each island to get a flavour.

Take a look at the Inside Pages for Kefalonia here on TA - it will give you an insight to the island plus 50 or so photos of the main sights and resorts.

3. Re: where is the best place to stay in Kefalonia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 08:17
Get answers to your questions about Cephalonia