We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apollonia studios - Assos

London,
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Apollonia studios - Assos

Hello,

Has anyone stayed at these apartments at all and know whether they are nice for a week self catering in Assos?

Also does anyone know if there is actually a beach in Assos or just the harbour and can you swim in the harbour?!

Sorry if that sounds a bit stupid - but from research I just can't work it out

Also would you need a car for a week?

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apollonia studios - Assos

Hi,

I can't answer the question about the accommodation, but I am 99% sure there is no beach at Assos and didn't see anyone in the sea when I was there. Though I haven't actually stayed in Assos,only visited.

I would recommend car hire, partly because you are somewhat 'cut off' right up in the north of the island and also because Kefalonia is such a beautiful island and car hire's the easiest way to see it all as the bus service isn't great.

Hopefully someone will come along who has actually stayed in Assos with the rest of your answers.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll...
Level Contributor
736 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apollonia studios - Assos

You will love these apartments. Very clean, wonderful views of the harbour as you are right on the water.

You are just next to the two small pebble beaches that are within the harbour cove where you can swim in beautiful clear water and sunbathe.

Photo of the beach with your apartments on the far right of the photograph flickr.com/photos/joy23/901220347/sizes/o/

You are a close but steep drive to Myrtos beach as well.

You will need a car as Assos is down a steep windy road and away from the rest of the Island.

We love to eat at bar North restaurant which has fantastic views and is best reached by the steps from the front and not the signposted road (unless you are driving) http://www.north-assos.gr/index-bar.htm

We also love Nefeli Taverna and the Sea-side cafe.

Have a good holiday.

London,
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apollonia studios - Assos

Thank you that is really appreciated - I think we will book this.

Do you happen to know if boats/ cars can be hired in the village itself by any chance?

Thanks again!

London,
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apollonia studios - Assos

Also - has anyone gone through Greek Options before? I've never met a grumpier travel agent on email.. so not actually sure I want to book through them now

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apollonia studios - Assos

Hi there

The beach at Assos is small pebbles and shingle, so not the best by a bit but at least you are within close distance of Myrtos beach. You can certainly swim in the harbour if you wanted to but generally, where there are fishing boats, there will often be diesel oil.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll...
Level Contributor
736 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apollonia studios - Assos

Totally agree with GB, have found lots of fuel oil off the beaches with watersports or ferries eg the resorts of Lassi and Poros, sometimes Skala where the trip boats arrive and depart. Is best to avoid areas where speed boats or Jetskis are as they do push a lot of pollution into the water.

Sorry you have found a grumpy travel agent.

Assos is very beautiful though and has not been overly developed, but you will have to travel farther afield for larger beaches.

Here is a link to a selection of photo's of Kefalonia and it's beaches http://kefalonia.smugmug.com/

London,
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apollonia studios - Assos

Thanks for this - great info.

One final thing - does anyone know re hire car/ boats whether one would be driven to Assos for us to use for a few days or whether we could only get one at airport then have to drive there ourselves for the use for a few days - which we wouldn't fancy doing as we've got transferds included in the package I guess if we go with the grumpy travel agent

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll...
Level Contributor
736 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apollonia studios - Assos

Here is a quote below from another site about boat hire.

Most car rental companies will deliver to your apartment.

I don't know of any based in Assos, but there is Mercury car rental in Agia Efimia and Gerolimatos based in Sami but I think they have an office in Agia Efimia as well.

I am sure if you do not need a car until you arrive one of the local tavernas would be pleased to advise you.

If you are driving to Assos then you have a much larger choice of car hire.

Assos Rent-a-Boat is based at the Sea-Side cafe and snack bar, right on the harbour front at Assos and is run by Dimiris and Yiorgos. The boats are mainly 15hp and take up to 5 persons. They have an electric start mechanism with steering from the middle. Boats come supplied with canopy, mobile phone and standard safety equipment.

Assos Rent-a-Boat have a speedboat on standby in case anybody is late back or calls in with a problem and it will 'whiz' out to find you if you are not home on time. Motor boat cruising around Assos is great for finding small, secluded beaches which are inaccessible by car. Although Myrtos beach seems close on the map if is actually five or six nautical miles away from Assos harbour and is therefore off limits for small motor boats. You will get wonderful fish-eye views of the Venetian Castle as you meander along the rugged coastline of Assos. You would usually expect to pay for petrol on top of the boat hire, but in Assos it is included in the price of around 80 Euro a day.

The boats are not equipped with a fridge or cool box but Dimitri can supply food and drink for the boat from the Sea Side snack bar on request. So if you are staying in Assos and have access to a fridge, the best advice is to freeze some small bottles of water overnight and make your own cool box and to guarantee cool water to drink. Boats must be returned by 6p.m.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,881 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Apollonia studios - Assos

Double check re the transfer from the airport being included in your booking - it would be quite expensive to get a taxi to Assos.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Apollonia studios - Assos

Hi there

There are car rental firms at the airport so you could forego the transfer, collect a car and drive to Assos. Make sure to tell the reps though or they will be looking for you. Also means you can drive yourselves back to the airport on the last day, a definate plus if you have an early check out combined with a late flight, saves having to hang round looking for something to do whilst waiting for the coach.