We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiskardo or Skala

4 posts
Save Topic
Fiskardo or Skala

Hi there,

We are planning a trip to Kefalonia in July and can't decide between Fiskardo or Skala. We are two adults and one seven year old boy. We're looking for a nice sandy beach and a nice village to have dinner in in the evenings - people watching a welcome benefit.

any suggestions

Many thanks

Level Contributor
736 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fiskardo or Skala

Hello. Fiskardo does not have a sandy beach the beaches around the area are small pebbles or shingle.

Fiskardo itself is pretty and great for people watching in the evenings.

Skala is coarse sand with a few pebbles near the water but sandy once in the sea. The beach gets sandier at the end towards cape mounda where the rocks are.

around the cape is a long sandy beach called Mounda, it has shallow waters and the turtles come ashore to lay their eggs here.

Skala is more of a resort with lots of tavernas and bars to choose from.

Other places with sandy beaches would be the little fishing village of Katelios with its Fish tavernas.

Lourdas has a long sandy beach with Tavernas and bars if you go up the hill there are more tavernas with amazing views towards Zante.

Agios Thomas is small with two tavernas and a two small coves with sand.

svoronata is a nice area but with no real centre but has the lovely sandy beach of Avithos.

Lassi is a resort but has lovely sandy beaches and is close to the capitol of Argostoli.

Vatsa bay has good sand and one of the only rivers on the island. It has two very good tavernas but is miles from anywhere.

Xi has a long red sand beach which can get busy in high season, it is backed by many hotels and apartments.

If I was asked to choose it would be between Skala, Katelios and Lourdas.

The reason I left Lassi out (which is lovely with great places to eat) is because it feels more like a tourist resort.

4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fiskardo or Skala

Thank you so much for your advice. Do you think Lassi would be better for us as a family? It sounds great and it's beach perfect - we just don't want a noisy place with lots of Brits! We like the Greek way and have been to Paxos before which we love but don't want the transfer as we are only going for one week. Has anyone been to the Princess Hotel? If so, would you recommend it? Many thanks

Level Contributor
736 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fiskardo or Skala

If you are looking for less brits and quieter I would look at Lourdas or Skala. Both of these have A fair few Brits (Skala More so) but retain a village feel to them. Skala is very near to a very large sandy beach at Mounda, it has a long beach itself and has much to entertain Children plus boat trips etc..

Lassi is near to Argostoli , has a road running through it with many bars and tavernas and shops but no real heart. Great beaches though and some good walks along the Fanari road.

It is the busiest resort in Kefalonia.

Lourdas has another long sandy beach, the best sand being in the central stretch called Kanali.

You can walk along the beach to Trapezaki.

Many Tavernas and some good bars.

The village square is up the hill in Lourdata and under the huge old Plane tree is a Kafeneon.

Vlachata just a bit higher has some of the best views on this side of the Island and some good Tavernas.

Lourdas, Lourdata and Vlachata make up the resort of Lourdas.

Have been to the Island many times and stayed in most places but love Lourdas.

Such a personal thing though, and as you will no doubt hear and read others loving Lassi and Skala.

The downside for some people of Lourdas is that parts of it are on a hill.

But this stops it from being over run and gives great views as does parts of Lassi.

Here is the review page for the Princess Hotel tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g644214-d500146…

I am sure you will have a wonderful time where ever you choose to stay.

Out of the 50 odd Greek Islands I have been to Kefalonia is one of the lovliest.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Level Contributor
783 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fiskardo or Skala

We've been to Kefalonia twice now and stayed in Skala both times, however we did visit the whole island. I would certainly say Skala would be the best place to stay. It still has the feel of a village but has quite a lot of tavernas, bars and shops. In my opinion the beach is nice, if the shingle bothers you just buy a pair of beach shoes for around 4 euros and problem solved.

The 2nd time we visited was our honeymoon and we stayed in the San Georgio Hotel which is a lovely place and quite reasonable. It's down as a 3 star but I really think it should be a 4 star. I would recommend this accomodation. Thomsons go here as do olympic holidays.

Fiskardo is lovely but I think quite expensive, but go there on a day trip. Another place to visit is Assos very beautiful.

If you need any more info just ask.

West Yorkshsire
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fiskardo or Skala

Hi. We stayed in Skala last year and it is not loud or anything like that, the tavernas are good and there are a lot of restaurants to choose from. It is very hilly though, we were right at the top and at first walking up the hill with 6 bottles of water every other day was a task in itself but we got used to it eventually. So if I was you I would try and get somewhere to stay down at the bottom of the town. As for Fiskardo it is a lovely place but not for children and the food is really expensive, also you would need a car to get about. Hope I have helped.

Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Fiskardo or Skala

We have been to Kefalonia three times and I would highly recommend Scala where we have stayed on our last two visits. On our first holiday we stayed in Lassi and although we enjoyed Kefalonia found that the town was too commercial for our liking and lacked the usual Greek charm.

As previously mentioned Scala is a wonderful base for exploring the island and is great for couples and children of all ages.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fiskardo or Skala

Would agree with what everyone else is saying. I like Skala the best. It still feels like a village and has a square with a church and has locals still living there. The beaches are sand and shingle. I would also agree with being nearer to the sea if you can as we stayed on the road up to Old Skala and it was a heck of a walk in the heat. I like Fiskardo but found it's a lot more expensive to eat out.

4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fiskardo or Skala

Thanks so much for all your help.

Level Contributor
1,228 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fiskardo or Skala

Hi becinz

I've been to Kefalonia twice and Paxos 16 times and if you love Paxos, I think you would probably prefer the more villagey atmosphere of Fiskardo, with its harbourside bars and tavernas. As others have said, there are no sandy beaches nearby, but then if you've been to Paxos, you're used to pebbles!

Woodbridge, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fiskardo or Skala

We stayed in Katelios a few weeks ago, and travelled around the island (also staying in Agia Efimia). Theres probably at least 8-10 tavernas to choose from to eat, the beach is sand/shingle but if you walk along towards Skala you will come to Santa Barbera beach and then around the headland (either scamble over the rocks or drive)Kaminia/Mounda beach which are both sandy.

Katelios is a nice quiet village, though in July it will be busier. There is a small older part of the village which you can easily walk to (Anos Katelios). Skala is bigger and has bigger beaches. It looked a nicer resort than Lassi, although I think Lassi may have better sandy beaches. We went to Fiskardo for the day and theres no sandy beaches there and we found it very expensive. Someone told us it takes around 2.5 hours to drive from Katelios/Skala to Fiskardo.

Get answers to your questions about Cephalonia