We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Skala

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from Skala

Hi, we arrived back from Skala (Makis Hotel) on Thursday evening and thought I would post some info that may be of use to those going out soon.

We had a great time - we were there for 2 weeks starting from the 28th May. The weather got progressively warmer whilst we were there and it was hot sunshine every day for the last few days. We would definately consider going back in the future.

We swam in the sea every day - probably the clearest water we have ever seen!

We prebooked a return taxi transfer with Thompson for £70. Definately the way to go to and from the resort rather than the bus as the taxis had air con and on the way to Skala we had a really good guided tour!

The Makis was very nice - great location and really friendly staff. Especially liked the rat pack singer on a Tuesday and Friday night. The rooms were not the best I have stayed in (but then it was a 2 week holiday for £1000) but we slept well every night and they were cleaned every day. Our room (202) could have done with a bit of repainting.

We have not been to Greece for a couple of years and were suprised at the prices - a large beer is approx 2.5 - 4 euros depending on where you go, a pair of sunbeds and an umbrella were 6 euro, cocktails varied between 3.50 euro (Sallys happy hour), 5.5 euro (Captains happy hour) upwards. A litre of local wine was good value at approx 8 eutos. Evening meals for 2 varied between 30 euro and 50 euro (including drinks) dependant on what we ate, drank and which eateries we used. Our favourite eateries were: The Pines (the chefs menu displayed outside) is always good value and tasty, Symposium - a bit posher with great piano music and a small restraunt behind the church next to the School La Pikontia???? (really good traditional food). At lunctimes we used to get a sandwich or kebab in pitta (really nice andonly 2 euros) from the Deli Veto on the main street and eat lunch on the beach.

We took 1000 euros with us and ended up buying our last 2 nights meals on credit card as both the cash machines in Skala had run out of money at about the same time as us!! Therefore I would definately take some cash with you rather than just assuming you will be able to get it out in Skala, credit cards also seem to be widely accepted. I pre-ordered our cash from crown currency exchange - got a really good rate and will definately use again.

We took a days boat trip to Ithaca with Captain Vangeli - his boat leaves the beach at 9am every day and does various trips. The current price is 25 euros per person (not including food or drink - you can take your own, buy drinks on board plus there are 2 stops for sight seeing / food and 2 swim stops). Really highly recomended and much better value than the advertised Thomson day cruises (60 euros each!!).

If anyone has any queries I'm happy to help!

Mentioned in this post
Skala
Skala
Cephalonia, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Ithaca
Ithaca
Ionian Islands, Greece
Makis Hotel
Makis Hotel
403 Reviews
Cephalonia, Greece
The Pines
The Pines
665 Reviews
Cephalonia, Greece
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Skala

Oh, and forgot to mention - take some mozzie spray, there seem to be quite a number of the little blighters around at the moment! Got the hang of checking the room every night after the first few nights!

algra
Level Contributor
267 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Skala

Glad you had a good time - 4 weeks today for us.

Thanks for the price guide - really useful

I intend to take enough euros for the first few days and then exchange out there - i presume there are plenty of places in Skala to do that?

Mentioned in this post
Skala
Skala
Cephalonia, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Skala

Glad you had a nice time. Skala's my favourite place on Kefalonia.

We also found Captain Vangeli very good for his boat trips - much better than the reps.

Whenever we've changed money we do it at CBR Car rental agency on the main street as they're rates were always the best, but there are a few other places too.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Skala

The rates at the money exchange places seemed to vary between about 1.11 and 1.15 while we were out there.

algra
Level Contributor
267 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Skala

Thanks both

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Skala

Thanks for this post, going out on the 12th of next month. We got told that a large beer was 6e, thought this must be a mistake.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from Skala

We just got back from Skala too. It all depends on where you buy your large beer - happy hour and during day 2.50-2.80 euros and some more expensive restaurants/club were about 4 - 4.50. So it depends.

Mentioned in this post
Skala
Skala
Cephalonia, Greece
Chester, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from Skala

Unfortunately we didnt go to kepkalonia this year. We have been there for the last 4 years. We went to lesbos, it is nowhere near as nice. Kephalonia remains our favourite island and always stay in Skala.

We always hire a car from the airport to avoid the coach transfers.

Some tips:

Travel along the coast road to poros from skala and stop off at the cafe that is built into a rock opposite the harbour, beautiful location.

Visit the winery for some very generous tastings!!

A trip to the caves and mellisini lake (not sure on spellings)

Take a ride up to Fiskardo a very pretty fishing village.

One thing we have never done is visit Ithaca as that remains on our to do list.

Cant wait to go back, will probably be next year now.

Mentioned in this post
Skala
Skala
Cephalonia, Greece
Ithaca
Ithaca
Ionian Islands, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from Skala

Yes, Ithaca's on my 'must do' list too. Benn on numerous occasions but never got round to it.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from Skala

Well then, a perfect excuse to return to Kefalonia. Ithaca is simply stunning and even more scenic than her larger neighbour. It's still very rustic and barely touched by tourism.

Mentioned in this post
Ithaca
Ithaca
Ionian Islands, Greece