We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scala or Lassi 2010

London
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Scala or Lassi 2010

Hi wonder if anyone can help who has been to both these resorts in Kefalonia, my husband and I would like to visit first time next year but am not sure what one would suit us both better. We are both in our mid 50's but like a very buzzy atmosphere at night with plenty of restaurants, bars etc. and lots of people wandering, and also a few tourist shops to wonder about in in the evening. Which one of these 2 resorts would suit us better? Obviously we do not like the younger type of resorts, lads lager etc. but would like some sort of busy evenings, even if it is only lots of people milling about and street vendors, etc. where we can maybe sit have a drink and people watch. Any help would be really helpful and then I can go ahead and book. If it helps we have been to Hanioti on Halkidiki, and this is the type of holiday we like nice and bustling in the evenings but laid back also. Thanks in advance.

Jo

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scala or Lassi 2010

Hi there

In this instance, I would say "Skala". It has a good atmosphere and plenty of shops, bars and restaurants but nothing remotely OTT. The beach is OK, not the best but far from the worst. It sits at the southern end of the island and the bus services are up to much so really, you would have to rent a car for a few days to see the island's main sights. these are mostly within the southern half of Kefalonia anyway and it's only sights/places like Assos, Myrtos beach and Fiskardo that would require a reasonable drive.

Nothing wrong with Lassi, it has two great beaches and is close to the airport and to Argostoli but it is a purpose-built resort and tends to attract younger visitors.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scala or Lassi 2010

Sorry, no edit function here..

should read " buses aren't up to much"...

uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Scala or Lassi 2010

I've just come back from Lassi. There wasn't much evidence of a "younger " croawd to be honest. Plenty of bars & tavernas, and you're within easy reach of Argostoli, the capital. If you liked Hanioti, you'll like Lassi. I can't comment on Skala, never having been there.

London
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scala or Lassi 2010

Thanks to you both so far, I will bear all you have said and take on board, anyone else with any thoughts please comment, thanks again. We don't really expect out of the world beaches, sand etc. so am not bothered at shingle ones, we were just mainly concerned about the bustling in the evenings, how many restaurants/tavernas in each of Scala and Lassi are there? So which resort is the most busiest of the two in the evenings? am a bit confused, both sound good though but still am not sure, please need lots more advise.

Many thanks all out there.

Jo

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scala or Lassi 2010

Hi again Jo

When I said "attracts a younger crowd" as far as Lassi is concerned, I meant, with all respect, a bit younger than your age group. Lassi attracts all ages of course but whenever we've been there, it's tended to be families or couples predominently with a sprinkling of singles and small groups.

Both resorts offer plenty of bars and restaurants, Lassi's beaches are better, plus it is handier for getting around the island. But given that your original post asked for laid back but bustling in the evenings, I would still go with Skala.

At the end of it, either place will allow you a great holiday, just bear in mind that Lassi is essentially one main drag with shops, bars and restaurants lining it whereas Skala is more of a village.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scala or Lassi 2010

Lassi gives you more options. There are many restaurants & bars in Lassi which is basically a one street resort of around 1km lined with bars,tavernas,car hire firms & tourist shops. It has been purpose built for tourists but the up side is that it is only 10-15 minutes walk over the hill to Argostoli. Argostoli is the main town of the island & as such has great shopping, a very good market & you are spoiled for choice for places to eat & drink.

Also Argostoli is the central point fron buses on the island. As GB states, the bus service is not geared for the tourists but for the locals & Argostoli give, by far the best options to see some of the other villages on the island if you choose not to hire your own transport. You can also take the ferry to lixouri from Argostoli which is a pleasant excursion.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,996 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scala or Lassi 2010

I stayed in both Skala and Argostoli(close to Lassi) in the one trip, don't see why you can't do that. Both would suit you I guess, and meets your busy evening requirements. Argostoli seems never to be mentioned but it has the most Greek atmosphere about it, and easy to reach Lassi for the beaches during the day.

Nea Skala is really the only other sizable resort to meet your 'people' theme.

The whole island does not attract young people, or young backpackers either, leads to a rather staid atmosphere of Brits on packages, but then a lot of people like that.

London
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scala or Lassi 2010

Hi again, many thanks for your help again, I have now got food for thought, both resorts seem just what we are looking for, so will now have to way up each, and see what accommodation is available when I am ready to book. I do like the idea of Lassi being so near to the capital, it is another option for something to do in the evening, as I have read earlier reports that it is walkable. Also the transfer from the airport is not to bad either. I will have to see which way I will sway once everyone else has posted their thoughts. Many thanks again. We will probably only go for a week so will just go and stay in the one place. But then again I like the idea of a typical greek village type of hol, oh god! now I am even more confused.

Jo

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scala or Lassi 2010

Hi Jo

I think you've received pretty much all the low downs and the pros and cons of either place. At the end of it, some folk will prefer Lassi and some Skala, it's down to individual preference really.

You might get a further 20 responses here, and I bet they'll be split 50/50 between the two resorts so at the end of it, it's what YOU want from the holiday.

As I've said, either will give you a great holiday.

London
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scala or Lassi 2010

Yes, I think you are spot on GB, but I am sure whichever one I choose I will have a great time, I have never heard any bad reports from the Island as a whole anyway. So a big thank you for your advice once again.

Jo

Get answers to your questions about Cephalonia