We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Agia Efimia

Sofia
8 posts
Save Topic
Just back from Agia Efimia

We are just back from a week in Agia Efimia. Wanted to share my impressions in brief. The southern part of the island isn't the best place you can go to, Everything between Scala and Argostoli, including them doesn't deserve the time spent to reach them. Scala itself is a worse place than many other greek villages.

The northern part is OK, Assos anf Fiscardo are really nice, Agia Efimia is also pretty nice place to stay at, just 10 minutes by car from Myrtos. Mellisani lake is really impressive. As a whole the island is interesting and pleasant place to visit, lack some greenery in my opinion, recommend to visit Skopelos, maybe a better place to go, with more trees and green coloron the hills, anyway, Kefalonia can offer a lot to the tourist, but not in its southern half!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Just back from Agia Efimia

I'm sorry but "just driving along the road" , to use your words, is not the same as exploring the island properly. There's not a town anywhere in Greece that doesn't have some unfinished buildings somewhere and of course a place is dusty when it's probably seen no rain for months and has endured temperatures of 30c plus.

You then say that Argostoli has nothing much of interest - did you actually get out of the car or just whizz by on your way to somewhere else?

I still fail to see how you can possibly state that the southern half of Kefalonia has nothing to offer the tourist, maybe next time, if there is a next time, you should actually pull over and "see" the places you drive through, rather then totally dismissing them.

england
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Just back from Agia Efimia

GB, you really are very passionate I can see about your views on Cephalonia, and I couldn't agree more!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Just back from Agia Efimia

Yes, I do see your point GB, if you just drive through Skala for instance, especially during the day it may come across as just any old tourist resort. You have to stay somewhere like there especially in the evenings when it comes into it's own. Locals and holidaymakers out in the streets enjoying the tavernas etc and the kids both local and tourists playing in the park. I guess other resorts such as Lassi have a completely different vibe during the evenings too.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Just back from Agia Efimia

Hi Asty and MyBelle

I just fail to comprehend how the southern half of the island "has nothing to offer the tourist". Everyone has their views of course, but how can this "view" be considered rational when it's is so incorrect? People reading this thread might dismiss the island as "not worthwhile a visit" based on the original post here.

It's like saying that "oh yes, Athens, it's got a few old buildings but not much else".....

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Just back from Agia Efimia

Hi Graham,

I can understand the poster's point of view, if they don't like the southern part fair enough, there's plenty of people who do go back time and time again.

You do have to stay somewhere like that to appreciate it rather than driving through it, as you don't get the complete vibe of a place.

As I said you can't please everyone all the time and that's life.

Woodbridge, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Just back from Agia Efimia

It would be very boring if we all liked dong the same things and going to the same places on holiday - and very crowded somewhere!

London
Level Contributor
796 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Just back from Agia Efimia

I think it's a bit silly to compare any one island to another. The now silent yavornik says it lacks some greenery etc. Perhaps she/he would prefer a pick and mix island! I'll have a bit of greenery from there, a bit of sandy beach from there and maybe a bit of history from there! Hey presto the perfect Greek Island!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Just back from Agia Efimia

LOL, unfortunately "pick and mix" islands are a thing of the past what with the demise of Woolworths.....

19. Re: Just back from Agia Efimia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2010, 04:45