We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kefalonia in July with kids - where to stay?

London
2 posts
Save Topic
Kefalonia in July with kids - where to stay?

Hello all - I hope you can help me!

I will be going to Kefalonia in July for 3 weeks with a 5 yr old and 2 yr old. I was just about to book a villa near Fiskardo which looked lovely but am having a panic about lack of sandy beaches up there for the kids to enjoy. I have been to that area before kids and loved it (went in May though so not so crowded I assume).

Can anyone recommend an area for me to look? Ideally:

Not Brit package land - more Greek

Quiet/Nice views if poss

Pretty

A few tavernas within very short drive

Sandy beach good for kids

Also, will Kefalonia be horribly crowded by July? We are avoiding August for this reason but is there much of a difference?

Thanks!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kefalonia in July with kids - where to stay?

Hi there

You will have a job to avoid "Brit package land" pretty much anywhere on Kefalonia in July so you will need to make a compromise somewhere along the way. If your party were just adults, there are a few places to recommend but with youing kids in the group who will want that sandy beach, you will need to accommodate them or risk them getting bored.

The two main resorts are Lassi and Skala - Lassi is closer to the airport so it's a short transfer, is close to the charming capital town Argostoli and has some of the best sandy beaches on the island. Yes, it's Brit resort but where isn't? It's got no OTT nightlife so you won't find hordes of lager-crazed idiots there, but it does have a good selection of bars and restaurants as well as three supermarkets, car hire, and so on.

Skala is right at the southern tip of the island, so a longer transfer and farther to go to explore the island. Skala retains a village feel though with it's little square. The beach varies a bit but it's still OK for kids.

Thing is, if you want to try to avoid your fellow Brits in numbers, you'd have to look at somewhere like Assos or Agia Efimia, neither of which have a decent beach but there again, there will still be plenty of Brits in both resorts in July

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kefalonia in July with kids - where to stay?

We've always taken our kids to Skala and they love it. GB has pretty much summed it up. There's plenty of Greek food to be eaten and the locals do still live there. The only minus point I would say, is that it is pretty much mainly British tour operators who go there. That said, the resort is not full of Union Jack shorts etc. It's mainly British couples and families who go there.

The other resort to look at would be Katelios, it has a lovely sandy beach(with a few stones) which stays shallow for quite a way out ( Skala's does get deep fairly quickly and has stronver currents), it has a handful of tavernas and is around 10 minutes by taxi to Skala. There is also a little 'ferryboat' service which connects Katelios, Skala and Poros.

Hope that helps.

UK
Level Contributor
588 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kefalonia in July with kids - where to stay?

our kids are the where the same age as yours when we went to Kefalonia last year (we have been every year since no 2 was born) we have a villa in old skala which we rent out through Thomsons (villa helona part of Paleo Skala Villas) last year for the first time we also spent a week in a villa just outside Fiscardo (Pelagia) . We had a great time.. the kids loved the beach at Foki and Dafnoudi which had a nice tree lined walk to get to.. the kids arent great at staying out late eating so we fed them at the villa one night then took them into fiscardo for icecreams (and beer for us) then back to put them to bed and eat. It was perfect to balance a week outside Fiscardo with a second week at our villa in Old Skala. best of both worlds.. and you have to drive down the island halfway through so can visit sights on the way. I would recommend splitting your time between the 2 places.

Woodbridge, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kefalonia in July with kids - where to stay?

I agree that Assos and Agia Efima are probably the places to go to avoid Brit packages but the beaches aren't so good. It may be worth considering Katelios. Its only a few miles from Skala but is much smaller. There are a couple of sandy beaches (one with a small childrens play area) and plenty of tavernas. There are no big hotels (although they were building a hotel last year), but plenty of apartment complexes of various sizes some with pools. The quietest choices would probably be Dreams or Albouro Apts (both near the beach - check out the reviews on here) or a villa set up in the hills. Most of the apartment complexes are a 5-10 min walk from the beach and just off the main road, which never seemed to get very busy. However we were there in May so can't comment on how crowded it gets in July. I believe but am not sure, that August is so busy as that is when the Greeks and Italians go.

5. Re: Kefalonia in July with kids - where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2010, 07:18