We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Katelios

Halstead, United...
Level Contributor
913 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Katelios

Help!! I'm thinking of taking my mum to katelios as a suprise it has to be quite cheap as I'm paying for her (already if to the Maldives in May so funds are tight!!) I've been looking at the Albouro Apartments,we want peace and quiet with a little walk involved every now and then! I'm looking at either 1st or 2nd week of July or the last week/beginning of October. Can anyone tell me what the weather is generally like end of September/October? Is it chilly in the evenings? I'm looking at 7 nights and really want to spend no more than £700 Self Catering.

I hope someone can help.

Thankyou Claire :0))

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Katelios

Hi Claire

Katelios is pretty laid back with a great beach and a selection of bars and restaurants but nothing OTT at all. If you're thinking of September, then generally the weather is still very good and visitor numbers will be lower than in July. Late September/early October will see the evenings starting to cool down fairly quickly and you'll need a sweater or a fleece for the pre-dinner stroll.The sea will be at it's warmest in September as will the pools so it's the best time for swimming too.

I've never stayed in Katelios so can't offer any advice for the apartments you mention but there may well be reviews on Trip Advisor or try Googling their name for more reviews and photos.

Best to see your travel agent and see what they have within your budget, failing that, see what deals are available on line.

Halstead, United...
Level Contributor
913 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Katelios

Thankyou GB that's really helpful,could you suggest anywhere else? Is Lassi or Scala quite "mum safe"!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Katelios

I can't comment on Lassi as we always stay in Skala. If your mum is fairly fit then Skala will be fine as it it's main street is on a hill and the raod leading to the beachfront road is also a hill.

Skala is a completely different resort to Katelios as it has a village square and church etc along with around 25 tavernas and half a dozen or so bars. When you go out at night you will see locals out and about too. It doesn't get too busy and still feels like a village at heart.

There is a small boat service which runs between Skala, Katelios and Poros, though I'm not sure whether it runs into October. There is also a company which runs longer boat trips to places such as Ithaka, Zante, Fiskardo amongst others. Again I'm not sure how late in the season they run, but they are a cheaper alternative than the rep's trips and we found the one we did to be brilliant.

As for is it safe? Yes, I've always felt very safe there.

Woodbridge, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Katelios

We stayed at Katelios in May, but at the Dreams Apts which are almost next to the Albouro Apts. They are on the edge of the village, set behind the Albouro taverna which is right on the beach. We ate there once during the holiday and had a nice meal. There were several couples eating there who were staying in the Albouro Apts and they all seemed happy and got on well with the owners who were cooking/serving and seemed very pleasant. But of course can't comment on what the apts were actually like.

Everything in Katelios would be easily walkable from the Albouro and you could do several short walks from there - along the beach or up into the hills - Dreams Bar has a leaflet. I would have thought you would have peace and quiet there.

One word of warning though - they were building a new hotel inland not far from Dreams and Albouro, although surprisingly we heard very little noise from it and it was mostly hidden behind trees and is only a few floors high. I imagine this year it is either finished and up and running, or they stopped building as they often do in Kefalonia so it shouldn't be a problem. Don't let that put you off going there though!

Try also looking on Thomson website for reviews as they offer the apartments.

Halstead, United...
Level Contributor
913 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Katelios

Thankyou all for your replies, after reading your reply Sue I booked the quote I had got online with Thomsons and we leave on the 11th July. I shall tell my mum today she's going away to somewhere hot so pack for that and that's it!! Are the little roads well lit at nightime walking to the village or would you advise me to pack a small torch? I'm really excited I've never had two holidays in a year to look forward to,I think my hubbie may want to strangle me in a few days!!!!! Thanks again to you all and I look forward to sampling the Greek lifestyle.

Claire :0))

Woodbridge, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Katelios

Yes a torch would probably be useful. We used ours to go along the last bit of the beach and up the track to Dreams Apts.

If you look at these links you can see where Albouro is on the map.

goinggreek.info/forum/index.php…

goinggreek.info/forum/index.php…

You will see that Albouro is down a track from the main road which leads to the beach. If you're heading to one of the tavernas on the waterfront it will be quicker to head down to the beach. But its only about 20 yds or so along the beach before you reach the waterfront road. Going the other way along the beach is Sta Barbera beach and Dreams Bar and Apts. It looks like Albouro Apts are a long way from the beach on the map but I don't think they are as Dreams Apts are only about 30 metres from the beach.

Try out Dreams Bar while you are there - they did great meals, alhough a little more expensive than some of the tavernas. It's run by an Englishwoman and her Kefalonian husband - you will need a torch to get there. If you go there during the day for a drink or lunch you can use their sunloungers for free, and you're only yards from the beach with a clear view. Better than paying for one on the beach!

Let me know if you want to know anything else - I'm very jealous of you now! Though we have just booked a holiday to Sorrento as we have wanted to visit Pompeii etc for ages.

Halstead, United...
Level Contributor
913 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Katelios

Thankyou, I can picture just where we will be now! That website is really informative. I am really looking forward to our trip away and to be somewhere warm out of the snow!!!

8. Re: Katelios

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2010, 05:19