We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The toilet issue

UK
Level Contributor
61 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
The toilet issue

Hi,

Sorry if this is a silly question nowadays, but does anyone know if the Pericles hotel has flushing toilets? or is it a case of putting tissue paper in the bin?

thanks

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: The toilet issue

Indeed ALL toilets of Greece are flushing ones. That's irrelevant to putting the paper in the bin.

Jackie, even if the pipes of the lodging you're staying at are big enough to "host" your paper, the pipes that the lodging's pipes will meet and will take the waste to its final destination won't be.

Italiastar, the person who emptied your bin couldn't care less. The next guests, the person who would be called (perhaps weeks after you left) to unclog the mess that your paper had created and the hotel owner who will have complaining guests, an empty room due to sh!t coming up the drain and an unclogging bill in hand, would definitely notice.

I understand that putting the paper in the bin might be some sort of inconvenience to some but ignoring the situation is not very kind. Besides, in the case of the Ionian islands, it's the Brits who constructed the drainage systems so blame our great-great-grandparents and not the Greeks!

Edited: 31 July 2011, 14:58
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: The toilet issue

Very succinctly put Thalia!! :0)

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: The toilet issue

Why thank you, GB!

BTW, I'm not at all jealous of your tan. ;-)

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
657 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: The toilet issue

I dont understand the problem with putting paper in the bins. Its the best place for it !

If you think about it,in the UK and elsewhere we flush everything then spend fortunes separating it all out again. Best to bin it and bag it ..better for the environment.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: The toilet issue

That's "white" for me Thalia, I'm browner that that right now and we haven't even been away this year yet!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: The toilet issue

Oh rub it in, won't you, GB?!

Dooper, well said mate!

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: The toilet issue

Most places its put paper in the Bin .

I know the villa studios we stay in we can flush paper also Ionian sun apartments Lourdas.

Most Tavernas etc will have notices in dont flush paper as this can blog up the system.

surrey
Level Contributor
723 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: The toilet issue

TH13 - this was a simple mistake - I hadn't been to Greece for 25 years and simply forgot! You would have thought that if it was that important, a simple reminder would suffice, after all, it's not just the Brits who expect to flush loo paper down the toilet.

bridgnorth
Level Contributor
3,415 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: The toilet issue

Even at the ultra modern and efficient Athens airport toilet paper goes in the bucket. As most Greek homes use septic or soakaways as opposed to our UK sewer systems discharging waste, treated and untreated, into the sea; they don't need a branch of 'Surfers against Sewage'.

bristol
Level Contributor
740 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: The toilet issue

I have had umpteen holidays in Greece and always had a flush toilet but respect that the paper has to go in the bin. The pipes are very narrow.

I certainly would not want to be faced with a bill for unblocking the pipes if i did not respect their requests. I just do it, dont think about it although I have taken scented nappy bags to use before putting the paper in the bin.