We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for first time in Kefalonia?

Haywards Heath...
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for first time in Kefalonia?

Hi, looking for some advice on where to stay as we are planning a trip to Kefalonia in June 2012.

There will be a family of 6, all adults for one week. We like the look of the pretty harbour towns of Assos & Fiskardo but I was a little concerned as I read somewhere that there are not many nice beaches as this end of the island? Is this true?

We would like to stay somewhere authentic and picturesque with some shops, tavernas, places to have a few drinks etc

It is difficult knowing where to start as most places look lovely. We plan to hire a car and explore some of the island and would also like to snorkel.

We are also looking for a villa with pool, if anyone has any recommendations, we would like somewhere that is walking distance to local amenities.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give

UK
Level Contributor
588 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for first time in Kefalonia?

Fiscardo area is lovely..there are lots of villas just outside.not sure about walking distance..the beaches are smaller and pebbly but still lovely iif you are all adults you won't be making sandcastles anyway. Uniquevillaskefalonia.com have villas all over the island.

Hull
Level Contributor
773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for first time in Kefalonia?

My advice, for what it's worth is not to stay at either Fiskardo or Assos on your first visit- you are at one end of a quite large island and if you like somewhere else, it will be a long drive. lovely though Assos is, it is very small and likely to be busy daytimes with daytrippers (in coaches!!) Fiskardo is on the expensive side.

I'd recommend Aghia Efimia as a base; it gives easy access to Myrtos (scene of the UXB in Capt Correlli) and Sami as well as the places you mention.

In the 15 years I've been going to the island, I've always found cheap flight prices are difficult to nail, so don't rule out a package; esp as it's your first time (the route around Argostoli from the airport is tricky until you know it).

Take a look at the Gonatas Hotel in AE.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for first time in Kefalonia?

Hello Mrs hunter.

I am not qualified to reply, but agree with the above to look at package deals. We have been doing Greek villas with pools for a few years and we are looking forward to our first trip to Cephalonia next week.. Please look back through this forum back to August 18th, I had a very helpful reply to "Blue Bay Villa" from a TA poster. We booked this 3 bed villa for just the 2 of us - but got a good deal from Thomson's.

It's big enough for 6 and has a pool.

Up the flagpole - I am sure that the experts will have views on Lourdas as a base.

Haywards Heath...
Level Contributor
18 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for first time in Kefalonia?

Thanks everyone for your replies, I will have a look at these other places you mention.

surrey
Level Contributor
721 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for first time in Kefalonia?

I'd also recommend Agia Effimia and possibly the Greka Ionian suites which have a small pool. In June you stand a good chance of getting a cheaper flight and rumour has it that Easyjet are flying there next year. The beaches are not that big or sandy in Agia Effimia, but nevertheless are very nice and will be quiet in June - bring some swim shoes and mats for the pebbles and you'll love the beach.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
262 posts
336 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for first time in Kefalonia?

Fiskardo or Assos. Assos is absolutely gorgeous.

Kefalonia has Myrtos beach which is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. It is regularly voted one of the top 10 beaches in the world and often the best Greek beach. Make sure you rent a car and spend a day there. The colour of the water will totally blow you away.

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
863 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay for first time in Kefalonia?

If you do decide on Fiskardo, Emplusi beach, which is quite close, is a beautiful spot with excellent snorkelling. Like many of the beaches, it is pebbles and shingle rather than sand, but that's what keeps the water so clear and blue.

At the other end of the island, there is good snorkelling between Poros and Skala where the road runs along by the sea for a couple of miles, or in the little coves across the road from the San Giorgio hotel, where there are a couple of car parking spots above the beach, near an old chapel.

UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay for first time in Kefalonia?

We stayed in Sami which isn't far from Agia Efimia and that was a really good base for seeing the island. They have a nice harbour with lots of places to eat by the water. The beach isn't brilliant but nothing is too far away to drive to on Kefalonia. Can't help with accomodation questions with regards to a villa though as my husband and i rented an apartment for a week. :O)

Assos is beautiful (as is the vast majority of the island) but it's tricky driving and the streets are pretty narrow so i'm not sure whether parking would be an issue there? Fiskardo is also really nice. I have heard it's one of the more expensive parts of the island though, i suppose it depends what you're looking for.

Absolutely visit Myrtos!

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay for first time in Kefalonia?

Katelios is a fishing port and has really good beaches near by.

Plenty of good Tavernas serving home grown food and fresh fish.

10. Re: Where to stay for first time in Kefalonia?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 18:17