We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a car in Aug

stroud
Level Contributor
4 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Hiring a car in Aug

Hi, we are going to Cephalonia in Aug and want to pre book a car, the euro rates are pretty good at the moment and I'd book it with a credit card for protection as I usually do, however someone mentioned that that petrol might be scarce there due to the economic problems they are having and I should wait till I get there to see if it is a problem, does anyone have a view on this? - also if I do wait does anyone a good hire place in the Monoampeles area.

Thanks

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiring a car in Aug

we always hire from www.venusrentacar.gr always had a good rate .

we pick up at airport but Kostas will deliver to your apartments/ hotel.

we are going in 7 days and was no problems when e-mailed him yesterday . Petrol is expensive think its now about €1-90 litre.

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiring a car in Aug

Always found greekstones very easy to deal will with.... Good rates and vey efficient ... No problems last 3 years .....

stroud
Level Contributor
4 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiring a car in Aug

Thanks for the replies, guess i will ask the rental place closer to the time about the petrol situation - looking forward to it car or not anyway

Cheers

Leeds
Level Contributor
100 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiring a car in Aug

We use CBR and will pay in euros at the airport when we arrive.

Fife, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
5 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiring a car in Aug

Hi

Just come back from Kefalonia, we pre booked a gp B car (ended up with a Micra) via an internet broker after searching for some time who gave a list of rentals with the cheapest few from £90 - £110, and I chose Avis, not the cheapest on the list until you consider they dont charge 6% extra for the airport location or more still for "local taxes" - picking up from airport gave total freedom to get to and from resort and out and about. No extra for credit card booking.

I found that you can get excess waiver insurance for £15 from Thomas Cook Essentials which was a saving on the 60 euro offered on location.....essential as covers the tyres and underside of the car plus the 600+ euro excess charges

Petrol was about 1.89 euro ltr. I dont think there will be any petrol shortage, but of course prices could go up.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,895 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiring a car in Aug

In Ceph a week ago. No problem with fuel BUT remember many petrol stations CLOSE ON SUNDAYS!!

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiring a car in Aug

Be prepared to pay for fuel in cash.(Already petrol stations in Crete are not accepting cards and it might spread).Take your spends with you in euros-cash.Don't rely on an uninterrupted availability of cash from ATMs.It won't cost you to be extra-cautious.

Car hire in Cephalonia (I was there last week) is more expensive than I had expected.Eg much more expensive than in Spain which I have more experience of.Yes unleaded is 1.90 euros a litre.

Hope Valley, United...
Level Contributor
815 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiring a car in Aug

Hi

Always hire with Greekstones - Excellent to work with. My husband hurt his back last year and they were brilliant offering to take him to docs etc. Good rates and outstanding service!

stroud
Level Contributor
4 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiring a car in Aug

Thanks for the replies - i was going to use this company - anyone else used them before?

http://www.pefanis-carhire.com

10. Re: Hiring a car in Aug

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 09:40