We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Captein Corelli

Norway
Level Contributor
216 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Captein Corelli

Where on Cephalonia did they shoot the film Captein Corelli? Where is the village with the bar and the church?

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Captein Corelli

I think much of it was a set. Some scenes filmed in argostoli and the beach scene anti Sami

Beach

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Captein Corelli

Thirabride is right...Pelagia's village and Argostoli town were sets built in the area surrounding Sami village on the east coast. Some of the beach scenes were filmed at Antisamos Bay and Myrtos beach.

Ludlow, United...
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Captein Corelli

The film crew took over sami and paid everone off to keep things sweet as previous posts beaches anti samos and Myrtos for the mine explosion .

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,476 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Captein Corelli

In Sami, last year there was a shop run by a photographer who had taken loads of pictures of the filming. I think it was a bookshop or Art shop. The owner was pleased to talk about the film. The shop was on the beachfront street but a little bit out of town heading towards the campsite. Sorry I cannot be more accurate.

A beach north of Agia Efimia on the east coast was used for the scene when the greek boyfriend goes to fight on the mainland. The film company built a wooden jetty and the locals asked them to leave it.

england
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Captein Corelli

You need to drive up to the Castle of St George. It is off the main road from Scala to Argostoli, closer to Argostoli. There you will find St George's village where a great deal of filming was shot. The local restaurant has photos of the filming.

The main beach was filmed at Anti Samos which has already been mentioned.

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Fiscardo
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Captein Corelli

Hi Zafraan

There's been a lot of discussion on the Forum over the years as to where scenes were shot, particularly the village scenes.

Mostly they were indeed a set/mock village, built and then demolished on the site of an actual village called Dihalia (above Antisamos Beach) which was flattened by the 1953 earthquake. The hill that the villagers walk up and down at the begining and end of the film is in the same location - not Assos as had repeatedly been claimed and not St Georges Castle (Kastro).

The nearest to Kastro that they filmed was the lanes around the village of Karamies, a few kilometers south, and then it was only the scenes showing the Italian soldiers in trucks.

If you're really keen to see the locations it's worth watching the DVD with the directors commentary on as he explains where most of the scenes were shot and why they were selected.

At the time that the film was released a 'companion' book was also released, written by Steve Clark, with introduction by Louis de Bernieres. Near the front of the book is a map of the Island with the various filming locations flagged and numbered to show exactly what was shot where.

It's still available online in the UK for a few £- don't know about postage to Norway though.

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Captein Corelli

I have a book called "captain corelli's kafalonia" that I bought when the film came out. Some stunningly beautiful photographs in there.

Loved the book (captain Corelli) hated the film - apart from the scenery and John Hurt

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Fiscardo
Level Contributor
1,967 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Captein Corelli

Know what you mean Thira

We still watch the DVD several times every winter though! (It cheers us up and starts the holiday countdown) but yes, almost entirely for the scenery and to spot someone we know who's an extra in a couple of scenes.

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Captein Corelli

Agree still watch it. That and Shirley valentine, for my Greece fix in cold wet uk days. Summer lovers another good film for Greek scenery (santorini and Mykonos)

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
658 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Captein Corelli

The Doctors house was a set built just off to the left on what was then a narrow track leading from Samos up to Anti Samos beach. The road was closed during the day for filming but once opened ,you could drive through and see the set etc. The road has been widened a little since then but it was quite perilous,especially if you met a vehicle coming the other way. Anti samos beach was used for filming. Its a pebbly beach but great for snorkelling as its crystal clear and shelves quickly.. It seems much stricken by wasps but the locals put out traps. During filming,anti samos bay was good fro big yacht spotting.

Get answers to your questions about Cephalonia