We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who has booked???

Hope Valley, United...
Level Contributor
866 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Who has booked???

Hello all

We are waking up to 36 cm of snow here in Buxton - it has been here for what seems like an age now!! It is making my thoughts turn to the beautiful island of Kefalonia and our family holiday booked in Scala this August. Is anyone else dreaming of their warm sunny holiday with lovely people, amazing food and not to forget the odd carafe of house wine......?? Has anyone else decided to visit (or return visit) to Kefalonia this year? I have travelled to other parts of Europe and Africa but nothing compares to Greece.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who has booked???

Judging by the questions and responses on the Cephalonia travel forum a great mant people are either going for the first time or returning to the island!!

Enjoy yourselves!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who has booked???

Im dreamin of Egypt in a few weeks then Lindos end of August then Cyprus beginning of October cant wait

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Who has booked???

Yes booked two weeks in Fiscardo/Kefalonia in June can not wait

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who has booked???

Of to Lourdas 1st June Ionian sun first time staying here but know the place well. Usually stay with friends but taking our 9 year old Grandson this time.

Next year hoping to hire a villa as Grandsons parents and 2 brothers hoping to join us.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Who has booked???

We have a villa for the first time! It is in Agia Efimia where we usually have a studio.

On our return will mention it in the Ceph Travel forum and review it.

Hope Valley, United...
Level Contributor
866 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Who has booked???

Hi all

Looks like others are dreaming of that sunshine! Cherub 77 lucky you I love Cyprus too as my in-laws have a little house in a village at the base of the Troudos mountains. Never been to Rhodes - how does it compare to Kefalonia?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Who has booked???

Ive been to Lassi and hired a car and went all around the island, ive only been to Falaraki in Rhodes many years ago so Lindos will be a new one for me but ive heard good reports

.Last September we went to Afistos in Halkadiki and it was on of the best holidays weve ever had and ive had a few, we stayed in a the Achtis hotel it was superb. Will be my 13th visit to Cyprus in October in Protaras we mainly go for the beaches which are as good as any ive seen further afield

Greece is my favourite place ive been to Kafelonia, Rhodes, Santorini, Parga, Halkadiki, Zante hated it LOL, Skiathos, Paxos, ive always fancied Crete but struggle to pick a resort as there are so many

Lansdale...
Level Contributor
152 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Who has booked???

We have!

We had a great time in Skiathos last year - our first trip to Greece - so we decided to return, but rather than go back to Skiathos we thought we would try another island.

Cephalonia was the island that stood out so we have booked 2 wks in September at a villa in Chalikeri - also hiring a car which we have never done before so that will be fun!!!

Does anyone have anything to share about Chalikeri and the surrounding area?

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,414 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Who has booked???

Hi DBF7

Near Chalikeri are two delightful small beaches - Aghia Jerusalem the larger of the two had canoes for hire in 2012 (don't want to presume about 2013!) and a slightly untidy looking cafe/bar/taverna that cooks delightful food lunchtimes (never been there in the evening!). Slightly further north is Alaties beach that is much smaller but also has a cafe/bar.

The drive from the airport to Chalikeri takes an hour. The road winds along the side of the mountain for most of the way and the first time it is best if you can do it in daylight. If you feel a bit nervous the there is a "new road" through the mountains from just out Argostoli to Drakarta near Myrtos beach. I do not want to worry you as the road is plenty wide enough for two 50 seater coaches to pass each other and the views are spectacular.

Fiscardo is a great town about 15 mins drive from your villa.

Assos is a pretty village with a fortress that is worth exploring but get there reasonably early as the walk up to the fortress takes about 30 mins and there is no shade on the walk up around midday.

Myrtos beach is great to see but can be dangerous for swimming with strong currents.

Agia Efimia is worth a visit especially if you take the mountain road via Komitata with spectacular views of Ithaka.

You could also hire a boat with an outboard in Fiscardo and explore the coves and beaches on the East coast south of Fiscardo.

Enough from me for a while as I will let others give you some other ideas!

You will enjoy the Island

Lansdale...
Level Contributor
152 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Who has booked???

Thanks for the quick and full response Travelbob, itsounds like you really love the island.

Is Aghia Jerusalem walkable from Chalikeri? It looks as if it maybe, we are staying in Villa Athina.

I understand the drive north could be 'fun' so we have decided to fly from Stanstead, enjoy a night at the Radisson, land in daylight and take a slow drive making the most of the views.

I am sure we will have loads of other questions but thanks again for sharing your knowledge.