We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who has booked???

Hope Valley, United...
Level Contributor
876 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Who has booked???

Hello all

We are waking up to 36 cm of snow here in Buxton - it has been here for what seems like an age now!! It is making my thoughts turn to the beautiful island of Kefalonia and our family holiday booked in Scala this August. Is anyone else dreaming of their warm sunny holiday with lovely people, amazing food and not to forget the odd carafe of house wine......?? Has anyone else decided to visit (or return visit) to Kefalonia this year? I have travelled to other parts of Europe and Africa but nothing compares to Greece.

Hope Valley, United...
Level Contributor
876 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Who has booked???

BurnleySharon you will have an absolutely fabulous time. It is truly a beautiful island. We have to travel in the height of Summer so I can't advise you on the weather in May but I am sure that lots of others will be able to. Kefalonia has something special - and Skala in particular in our opinion. Car hire is great because you can visit all the advised places - Argostoli, Fiskardo, Assos, Poros, Sami....the list goes on and on but if you don't fancy that you can book on various excursions but most people advise booking in resort and not with tour operators. Have a fantastic time and don't forget to post on your return!

Stockport, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
52. Re: Who has booked???

Hi Bob

Thanks for that, I'll be checking for prices so that we may pick it up at the airport. I would welcome any other suggestions, itineraries, some decent tavernas and rough price for lunch evening meal.

many thanks

Hope Valley, United...
Level Contributor
876 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Who has booked???

hi need2shedw8,

Unseasonal cold snap in Stockport - we are jealous here in Buxton!!! just kidding - you will love Kefalonia. We tend to hire a car from Greekstones who meet us at the airport - we have always had excellent service. Others also recommend cbr and Pefanis! There is so much to see on Kefalonia and so many beautiful routes to take. I have especially enjoyed visiting the Robola winery, the drogoratti caves and melasani lakes near Sami, Fiskardo, Assos etc Travelbob and GB devises will be able to advise you further. Have a great time!!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,551 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Who has booked???

Hi again,

I am not an expert on meal prices in Svoronata but elsewhere when my wife and I went out for an evening meal, a starter and main course each, a beer, coke and half litre came to 30-35 euros in total. we rarely ordered a dessert but often were given one free! We added about 5 euros as a tip. It would cost more if you ate "International" eg steaks or some fresh fish. We are not big breakfast eaters and a croissant from a bakery with a cuppa does us.Lunch is either a pastie of some sort from a bakery or a salad from a cafe/bar costing about 5 euros each.

From Svoronata, if you drive to the nearby village of Metaxata, then towards Peratatan on the left at a crossroads is a small Myceneum cemetery (about 50-100 metres along the left turn, just after the x roads is a right turn to Agios Andreas Monastery which houses a museum of ecclesiastical objects and panels rescued from churches destroyed by the 1953 earthquake. At Peratata on the hill is St Georges Castle (closed on Mondays) which is well worth a visit, as is the taverna/cafe/bar just outside.

You could continue on through the hills to Agio Gerasimo monastery and church, stopping first at the Rodolo winery. There is a route from the monastery that goes south over the hills to Viachata that is shown on some maps as "unmade". It is however now almost completely tarmaced and is perfectly driveable except in a very low sports car!

Skala is worth a visit and not long before you get there Kaminia beach is sandy with a bit of shingle and the sea is so shallow you can walk out for about 100 metres.

The views from the top of Mt Ainos are worth a drive and any car can get up the tarmaced road from the main Argostoli - Sami road. The route from the South East is only accessible with a 4X4.

The main road round Ainos makes a great drive for a day going (anticlockwise) from Peratata via Markopoulo, Pastra,Tzanata, Agios Nikolas (look out for small cafe/bar as you leave the village!),Grizata then the road to Argostoli and through to Agipo Gerasimo. Alternatively at Grizata continue into Sami and over the hill to Antisamos beach - great

Assos on the north west coast is worth a visit and en route there are view points to photograph Myrtos beach. You could make a visit to Fiscardo at the same time.

How is that for a few ideas for your first trip? You presumably want some days on the beaches at Svoronata and Lassi !

There are several books available that will give other places and more details about the places mentioned.

Any more queries just give us a shout

Bob

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
509 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Who has booked???

There are several decent tavernas in Svoronata, Dum Spiros on the main road does the most wonderful beef stifado, Acropolis on the road down towards the beach is another good one, with a good selection of food. On Avithos Beach there are two tavernas, Avithos Preview Taverna at the top of the beach path and To Enetiko at the bottom of the path,. Our favourite is To Enetiko, the owner is lovely and the fresh sardines are delicious, it's great to spend a couple of hours eating the wonderful food and hearing the waves on the beach.

A couple of miles up the hill, in Lakithra, is Byrons, another good choice of somewhere to eat, perched on the hillside overlooking the airport and the Ionian sea, with views over to Zakynthos, lovely.

Stockport, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
56. Re: Who has booked???

I am first humbled by all the great advice from all you folk on your extensive knowledge and spelling!!! Even more excited. Bob and Rewsmissus your comments has now been printed to take with us.Here is another one for this forum, 21st May is shown as a festival day !! are places open? Has anyone any knowledge of this?

cheers

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,551 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Who has booked???

I might not have the phrase correct but it is "Unification Day" when Greeks celebrate the unification of Greece and ithe Ionian islands. Various towns have parades. We saw a small one at Divarata where after a church service a local dignitary made a speech (of which we understood nothing) and then local school children laid wreaths of Bay leaves roud a monument.

Some towns have big parades. Here is a link to one on Ithaca ithacagreece.com/IthacaSummer2008/Unificatio…

It is a public holiday schools and government offices are closed but everything touristy carries on as usual.

58. Re: Who has booked???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2014, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Cephalonia
Recent Conversations