We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort - Kefalonia in July

Haltwhistle, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Which resort - Kefalonia in July

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are looking to go for a week in Kefalonia in early July. We know July/August aren't the best times to visit the Greek Islands but it's how things have to be due to getting time off work. We're both 29 and looking for somewhere laidback, not a party resort but with plenty of tavernas/bars and beautiful beaches. We won't be hiring a car so ideally we need somewhere with plenty to do, but where we can grab excursions from to get out for day trips. We were thinking Skala or Lourdas - he's worried Skala will be too busy and I'm worried Lourdas will be too quiet and spread out given our lack of car...any suggestions?

Cheers in advance!

Hope Valley, United...
Level Contributor
841 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which resort - Kefalonia in July

Hi Alyson D

As everyone knows on this forum I often recommend Scala as I absolutley love it. Being a Headteacher I always have to travel in August and have 2 children but I have never found Scala too busy! however it is about 45mins from the airport and I would usually recommend car hire when staying there as bus routes are practically non-exisistent. A more central place for the capital and for the airport is Lassi and, although I have never stayed there, I have travelled through. It has lovely beaches and plenty of bars, tavernas etc however I feel (and this is just a personal opinion!) that Scala has more of a traditional feel with is village square, church etc. It really does depend on what floats your boat! I agree with your views on Lourdas but again it seems a beautiful place. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that wherever you choose on Kefalonia I am sure you will love it!! I think I would be happy almost anywhere on Kefalonia.....

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
307 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which resort - Kefalonia in July

Hi.

We always stop in Skala , it has more than enough tavernas and bars to choose from,two or three shops to buy your wine and Mythos,two bakeries and a wonderful cake shop.You can book trips locally we have previously used Panem based on the high street.We also do a couple of trips using Captain Vangelis which is bookable from outside the Anassa Hotel.I recommend the trip to Ithaca.The beach is long but not sandy and the sea shelves quite quickly.

Abertridwr, United...
Level Contributor
430 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which resort - Kefalonia in July

Hi Alyson, Lassi is well worth checking out, it's got stunning beaches, lovely tavernas, and is only a short transfer from the airport, you can also book trips from there to Fiscardo, Assos etc. although I have been told it hasn't quite got the same Greek feel as Skala, nevertheless a really nice place to stay.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,117 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which resort - Kefalonia in July

Hi Alyson,

Early July the schools (in England anyway) have not finished yet so I doubt that Skala will be too busy.

Lourdas will probably be rather quiet but I am prepared to be corrected on that.

Lassi is a purpose buit resort and therefore lacks a real Greek feel although there are plenty of tavernas with real greek food. It does however have some of the best sandy beaches and has the added advantage of being within walking distance of Argostoli.

Unless you are desparate to have a sand there are plenty of nice pebbly beaches with beds and umbrellas (at around 5 Euros for two beds per day).

It is a pity in some ways you are not hiring a car as I would then suggest my favourite place Agia Efimia but without transport......

I suppose I would come down on the side of Skala, but only just!!

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,242 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which resort - Kefalonia in July

Hi although we now go to Lourdas would reccomend Scala or Lassi .

Need transport in Lourdas if you want to get out and about.

Bookl plenty boat trips from Scala beach with Captain Vengalais . good bars and plenty of tavernas and a nice village feel at night

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
509 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which resort - Kefalonia in July

Not quite sure why people feel Lassi doesn't have a "Greek feel".................it's in Greece, therefore it's Greek surely? In my opinion Skala lacks a certain something, the beach isn't particularly pleasant, the main road is hotel, after hotel, at least the accomodation in Lassi is actually scattered about, including up the hill. Lassi is in a far better location for people who don't or can't drive, a mere hop and a skip to Argostoli..................now that IS Greek!! If you want a real "Greek feel" you need to be looking in one of the villages that is not just aimed at tourism, Spartia, Karavados, Svoronata or even to an extent Katelios. Just my opinion of course, I don't like Skala (too far out) or Lourdas (too hilly), and I do enjoy spending an hour or two in Argostoli, evenings and during the day.

Edited: 11 February 2013, 16:00
Haltwhistle, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which resort - Kefalonia in July

Thanks all for your advice - we have gone for Skala but am sure we will love Kefalonia and be back to enjoy other resorts!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,117 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which resort - Kefalonia in July

Enjoy yourselves Alyson and boyfriend!!

Haltwhistle, United...
Level Contributor
30 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which resort - Kefalonia in July

Bialystok, Poland
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Which resort - Kefalonia in July

I will be with my wife from 15t July in Utopia Resort & Spa for 2 weeks. We want to rent a car for one week and a boat for one ore two days next w.