We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Kefalonia

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Kefalonia

Hello

My partner and I will be honeymooning in Assos in June and would like some guidance as to must do's whilst in kefalonia.

We will be there for 8 days and we have hired a car for the duration of our stay.

We both love beaches and my partner is a chef so we are keen to try some great greek food. I am of greek heritage and language barrier is not a problem for me so any hidden gems would be much appreciated.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,917 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Kefalonia

Hi Cleonik,

A great place for a honeymoon.

First, if transfer to Assos is not included in your holiday then it makes economic sense to collect and return your car at the airport. This will save you about 50 euros each way in taxi fares. I have assumed you are flying in to Cephalonia!

On your way to Assos you will pass Myrtos Beach. There are a couple of "viewpoints" for great pics. There are strong currents and the beach slopes steeply so take care if swimming there. The taverna/cafe is no great shakes either.

As you are staying in Assos then a late afternoon walk up to the fortress and explore is well worth it, perhaps staying for sunset. Look for the discarded cannon (through the arch and turn right, go as far as you can and look over the wall), see the prison cells, also the abandonned conference centre.

Agia Efimia is a lovely village and on the way in is Pergolas a taverna that is open all year and Ilias the owner is also the chef. Above Agia Efimia on the way to the monastery of Themata is the village of Tarkasata deserted after the 1953 earthquake. You can wander through the small streets, now overgrown, and still see wells outside the ruined houses. If this interests you I can send you details via Tripadvisor message centre.

Fiscardo to the north of Assos is the only town that was not devastated by the Earthquake,

Argostoli, the capital is also worth a visit, not forgetting to get there in the morning to see the turtles around the fishing boats in the harbour. Not far from Argostoli is the fortress of St George (closed on Mondays).

A drive to the church and monastery of St Gerasimo would pay dividends especially if you get there in the morning and can see the body of the saint in his casket. You could combine this with a drive up Mt Ainos to the summit, followed by a trip to Antisamos one of the best beaches on the island (open to dispute!).

Lassi has probably the best sandy beaches on the island and there are also many sandy beaches all along the south coast.

You only have 8 days so this is enough from me! For details of any of these places, just ask!

Have a great time!

Bob

staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Kefalonia

must visit St Georges castle views great from here. Call in at Kastro Taverna lovely homemade cakes and greeted with a jug of fresh ice cold water. Also go to the top of Mount Aienos you can see both sides of the island. On way to St. Gorges castle call at St. Gerasimos and the Robola wine factory next to it.

Morning down in Argostoli see the turtles feeding by the fishing boats .

Mellissini Lake and Droggati caves Nr Sami.

Have a great honemoon and while in Assos walk up to the old Fort.,we always walk down into the middle and then come out the back of fort and walk down the rough path . The see view as you walk back and walking along the rough path is worth it

Edited: 23 April 2013, 23:40
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Kefalonia

Thank you both so much for that information.

Can you tell me if there are any beaches near Assos or must we drive to find a beach with service i.e. cafe/beach lounges?

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,917 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon in Kefalonia

Hi again,

There is a small beach in Assos itself otherwise the nearest "serviced" beaches are Myrtos to the south ( but note my previous comments about swimming there), and Aghia Jerusalem about 20 mins to the north. You will find this beach quite quiet and the taverna/cafe is just over the road behind the beach. However the road only goes another 50 metres so it is no problem!

The "fortress of St George" that I mentioned is the same one that nannasuej calls "St Georges Castle".

Hull
Level Contributor
773 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon in Kefalonia

Apart from what has already been contributed re beaches which are 'serviced', AntiSamos beach (accessed from the road at the East end of Sami port, near the port offices) might suit you as it is very pretty and has loungers and a taverna. The beach is however shingle and again as travelbob rightly observes re Myrtos, the beach here, as is true of most of the Northern part of the island, shelves quickly into deep water. The sound between the island and Ithaca reaches 150M.

You may prefer the sandy beaches of Lassi which appear to meet your requirements; this is the first resort you go through when leaving the airport, so take as good a look as you can then. If you have a taxi transfer, it may be worth stopping in Lassi and buying parasols which would free your choices somewhat to go to the several small beaches between A Efimia and Sami.

I think you will find eating in Assos is quite expensive; I remember photographing a sign board 2 years ago showing a portion of Red Mullet at E27! Coach trips arrive there in the heat of the day and it can get quite busy as the place is very small. It would be a trek for dinner but the oldest restaurant in Sami has the best food. Be wary of extensive menus which are mostly out of a freezer. A trip to Ithaca would allow you to eat at a very traditional taverna- Ulysses in Frickes. He has his own lobster out in the sea in a cage but take enough money... There is no ATM there (it's in Stavros).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon in Kefalonia

Thank you all so much for this invaluable information. You have saved me so much time as I now no longer have to research anything!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,917 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon in Kefalonia

It's our pleasure. Any other requests just ask!

8. Re: Honeymoon in Kefalonia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 06:19