We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sat nav needed?

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
164 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Sat nav needed?

Hi all, we are the travelling to Kefalonia in September for 10 days and have a car for the whole time we are there. However i am slightly worried about driving and getting lost on the island, so am debating buying a EU sat nav to take, i don't really want to, as I do not need it in the UK as use my phone, and the are quite expensive, so wondered if i could get some honest feedback from people on whether I will actually need one, or if it is quite straightforward to navigate the island with just a map and sign reading?

Thanks all.

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sat nav needed?

Hi Lindy

I use the TomTom Greece app on my iPhone when out in Kefalonia, and it has been very useful in finding my way from the airport through the tiny villages and out to Peratata, although it can send me some very strange routes at times and I do tend to argue with it. I also used it to navigate from Skala up to Fiskardo, and I'd certainly use it round Argostoli. That said, you don't really "need" a sat nav in Kefalonia as most of the road signs are in both Greek and English (and you soon learn to recognise the Greek names anyway). It's not a vast island, if you get lost just aim for the sea and start again! Or ask someone local as most are very friendly and helpful. I got totally confused once in one of the small villages inland, stopped to ask a local lady, and ended up being offered a cooling drink in her house which was so kind.

Road maps are helpful but don't take them as gospel as they aren't always totally accurate. For instance on my map the Drapano Bridge in Argostoli is still showing as taking traffic when in reality it has been closed for some time to traffic since 2006.

What I do find the sat nav useful for is driving in the dark. It shows me when the hairpin bends are coming up ahead, where the big drops at the side of the road are likely to be, where to take more care, when the turning I want is approaching. It won't of course warn you of stray goats or donkeys or pedestrians in the road however ..... ;)

If you get the TomTom maps, make sure you get the specific one for Greece as that includes Kefalonia. The TomTom maps for Europe only show the Greek mainland and not the islands. This was certainly the case when I bought my TomTom Greece app a couple of years ago.

Hope this helps.

Edited: 03 July 2013, 08:36
Devon
Level Contributor
303 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sat nav needed?

Its pretty straight forward. On my first visit to the island I navigated around using just the car hire map which is adequete enough. Driving is very laid back and just take your time and you'll be fine

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,553 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sat nav needed?

Hi Lindy,

I take my Garmin Sat Nav that has all of Europe but don't often use it!

As Caroline says they are great at night for warning of sharp bends. My one does not translate everything though. I once spent ages that looking for a place that the sat nav was telling me to drive to until I found out it was saying "Drive to "highlighted road""

The maps that come with the cars are fine for finding the tourist attractions and major villages but are often out of date. For example the one I was provided with in May still has the road up to Mt Ainos from the North West as an "earth road" when for two years it has been an "asphalt road".

I have bought a good 1:65000 map of the island which is very up to date. It is also waterproof which also means "rip proof" and shows most public footpaths as well as contour lines etc. It is produced by Anavasi and is map 9.3 Ionian Islands , Cephalonia and Ithaca. It is on Amazon but is difficult to find.

It has an ISBN : 978-960-9412-131 and any bookshop should be able to get it. A new edition has come out this year. As a map Geek I think I will order one! It is almost impossible to find on the island in the shops and costs about £7

This link will help your driving on Kefalonia and it is humorously written

http://www.goinggreek.info/driving.html

If you let us know we will give you the best directions.

Enjoy Kefalonia.

Bob

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
164 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sat nav needed?

Thank you for all your helpful replies, i think i will spend my money on a good map instead of the sat nav!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,553 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sat nav needed?

Hi Lindy,

I have just tried to order a copy of the new map that I have mentioned. Unfortunately It has only just been printed and is not in the UK at the moment. You can order it direct from the Anavasi site and it is 7 euros plus postage etc of about 3 euros.

There are other good maps available on the island but make sure they are up to date. A good sign is to look for a road through the mountains (not the coast road) from Argostoli to near Myrtos beach. It should be shown as a main asphalt road and not as a minor road as it has been completely upgraded in the last few years.

Bob

Chichester, United...
Level Contributor
164 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sat nav needed?

Hi Bob, thanks again. Do you possibly have the link for the site to buy the map from please?

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,553 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sat nav needed?

Hi Lindy,

This is the Anavasi site in general.

http://www.anavasi.gr/index.php?lang=en

This is the link for the actual map (I think!)

www.anavasi.gr/product.php?lang=en&id=9

You have to register etc.

Bob

Gillingham, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sat nav needed?

I'm a total "where's wally" in the car & rely heavily on my sat nav at home, but as has already been said, you will manage with a simple map in Kefalonia, driving really is laid back! I can honestly say if I can mange it (and actually enjoy it!!) then anyone can!

Have a great time!

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sat nav needed?

That new Anavasi map looks useful. I have the Orama and the Airplane edition maps but they are both out of date now really.

Lansdale...
Level Contributor
152 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sat nav needed?

Hi, we bought our Anavsi map a couple of months ago

from here http://www.themapshop.co.uk.

You can not order on line, just give them a call. The service was excellent, got the map within 3 days.

Can't wait to try it out!!!

Get answers to your questions about Cephalonia