We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single lady: w/end in Kefalonia - where to stay, what to do?

UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Single lady: w/end in Kefalonia - where to stay, what to do?

I have a rare free weekend at the beginning of August and really need a break. Was thinking about spending a couple of days in Kefalonia (probably Friday to Monday). Like many people, I've always wanted to visit after reading Captain Corelli's Mandolin. I wondered which part of the island would you recommend for me to stay, and where to visit/what to see - bearing in mind I wouldn't expect to see much in such a short space of time. I wouldn't have transport but am more than happy to use public transport or walk (within reason - I don't mind the odd walk or two, but I'm not a hiker!). I'm not a fan of tacky, anglicised resorts. Would be nice to stay somewhere where I will feel safe to walk around at night, somewhere with a nice bar, restaurant or taverna, and somewhere with decent transport links to whatever places you are about to recommend!

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single lady: w/end in Kefalonia - where to stay, what to do?

Hi there

Firstly, you will be completely safe wherever you go. Secondly, there are no large, brash resorts on the island. A few are a bit less than authentic, purely because they are purpose built resorts, but there's absolutely nowhere on the entire island that wouldn't suit me for a holiday.

The island bus services are a bit on the lean side, geared more for the locals than for the convenience of visitors, and just about all services start from the capital Argostoli, so I would be inclined to either find a place to stay in the town, or consider staying at Lassi, a beach resort a couple of kms to the south of the town. Lassi is not the most authentic place on the island, but it has a regular bus service into town, or you can walk it in half an hour. It has the best sandy beaches on the island, and has a decent selection of bars, shops and restaurants, but absolutely nothing OTT.

The main locations used for Capt Corelli are Myrtos Beach, near Assos, Antisamos Beach, near Sami, and Sami itself which was mocked up to look like wartime Argostoli. I would be inclined to book excursions to these places as the buses are pretty poor, and it would be impossible to fit in much by using the buses anyway. The zigzag path that features in the closing scene is I believe between Sami and Antisamos Beach, but I know someone will be able to confirm that for you ( or otherwise).

From Argostoli, you can just about take bus daytrips to Fiskardo, Skala, Agia Efimia and Sami, but in most cases, there's just a couple of buses per day, so don't miss the last one or you will be there for the night

Timetables

http://www.allkefalonia.com/ou-buses.html

On a different note, early August is just a couple of weeks away, have you booked a flight yet?

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single lady: w/end in Kefalonia - where to stay, what to do?

Transport might limit what you see if you are not hiring a car. Bus service is generally poor with sunday service probably non existent. One way might be to base yourself in a toursit resort and take organised coach trips around the island which would probably have to be booked in advance. Hopefully others may be able to suggest something.

UK
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Single lady: w/end in Kefalonia - where to stay, what to do?

Thanks for your responses - really helpful. Unfortunately I can't drive, so it would be impossible for me to hire a car! Sounds like organised coach trips might be the way to go - are there any preferred companies or tours people can recommend? Also sounds as though Argostoli or Lassi would be a sensible base. Haven't booked my flights yet, but I've got my eye on a few options. Hoping to book flights and accommodation together in the next few days - I just wanted to get a better idea of where on the island to look for accommodation first. Thanks again for your help.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single lady: w/end in Kefalonia - where to stay, what to do?

Hi again

There are plenty of excursion agencies in Argostoli and Lassi, all pretty much offer the same trips so the likelihood is that wherever you book, you will probably end up on the same coach.

There always used to be an island tour via regular bus ( although it is a coach) on Weds and Sats which departs from Argostoli bus station at 9am, and takes in Katavothres, Fiskardo, Agia Efimia, Melissani Lake, Drogerati caves, Poros and Skala then back to Argostoli. I'm sure the price is about €25. You get back at around 6.30pm so you don't get long in any place and the price doesn't include entrance charge for Melissani and Drogerati. But it might be a way to squeeze in several sights and places in your limited time.

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single lady: w/end in Kefalonia - where to stay, what to do?

I often go out alone to Kefalonia, and I can assure you that you will feel safe wherever you go. I like Fiscardo and Kato Katelios best, but other places are really nice too. Fiscardo would have plenty of tavernas and bars for the evening, but personally I'd avoid Lassi as it's a purpose built resort and doesn't sound as though it would be what you are looking for, but as GB says, nowhere on the island is loud or brash or full of lager louts. If you decide to stay in pretty Kato Katelios for example, there are some lovely little tavernas along the front and also some Panem coach tours of the island that run from there. Pop in to the Panem office on the main street down to the front and have a chat with John there - he would sort out some good trips for you. Skala may be a little too "anglicised" for you but it does have a lovely long beach and again some nice tavernas and bars and a few shops for the evening, more than Kato Katelios. I have often stayed alone in both Skala and Katelios, and you very quickly get to know the taverna and shop owners.

Argostoli would be a good base for you too as many tours run from there, including some boat trips from the harbour.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll fall in love with the island just as I did a few years back and want to return again in the future. Have fun!

Edited: 15 July 2013, 17:21
bristol
Level Contributor
788 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single lady: w/end in Kefalonia - where to stay, what to do?

I would think argostoli and then day trips from there

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
671 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Single lady: w/end in Kefalonia - where to stay, what to do?

I would say Lassi as it has good facilities,is close to some nice beaches and is only a walk to Argostoli. You will hear that it is a purpose built resort but really,that doesnt mean that much and might give the impression that it is Torremolinos or similar which is about as far from the truth as you can get. In reality,its a sedate place with tavernas and a couple of bars. There is no high rise hell and boom boom disco. Its proximity to Argostoli is a clear advantage. Greece is not Turkey and you will find that you are perfectly safe and will be treated with respect and made very welcome.

Edited: 17 July 2013, 08:44
London
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Single lady: w/end in Kefalonia - where to stay, what to do?

Hi,

i'm heading out to Kefalonia this Sunday 19/8 on my own unfortunately, as none of my mates are available to come!

I'm arranging to hire a motorobike at Argostoli for my full stay (14days) and intend to pick it up straight from the airport...

I'm 29 yrs old and have travelled pretty extensively, usually backpacking.

I'm aware Kefalonia isn;t exactly a backpacking location, but i was hoping some of you may have some suggestions for me i.e good places to stay, places to go out, live music, the best beaches, unmissable trips...

I was looking for the possibility of boat trips where you also eat/sleep on board for a several days, but cant seem to find anything....

I will book my first few nights, probably through air b n b and have found a place for £15 a night with a pool! based in Kardakata, north of Argostoli. I would like to stay in different places over my 2 week stay, so any recommendations and advise welcome. I'm pretty laid back and enjoy relaxing, though the odd night out would be good!... i'm also looking to do it on the cheap :)

Cheers in advance for your suggestions

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,883 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Single lady: w/end in Kefalonia - where to stay, what to do?

Hi Freddie and welcome,

See my answer on your other thread

Bob

10. Re: Single lady: w/end in Kefalonia - where to stay, what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 05:18