We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Gerasimos Day 16th August

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
11,249 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
St Gerasimos Day 16th August

If you are in Kefalonia this week then it is worth considering a visit to the monastery of St Gerasimos on the 16th. After a church service the body of St Gerasimos is paraded in his casket down through the village at about lunchtime. You would need to get there earlier to park. There is also a market on the adjacent fields.

It's worth a visit once.

Bob

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Gerasimos Day 16th August

Wish I was still out there to see that! Sadly I flew back to the UK on Tuesday and am not due to return to Kefalonia until 1st September, Next year I will make sure I am out there for the festival as I hear it's well worth attending.

Gillingham, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Gerasimos Day 16th August

I'm just going to miss it as we arrive on Sunday 18th! Was disappointed when I realised this that I hadnt booked the week earlier - darn!

The monastery is always top of my list for places to visit, just love the atmosphere and beautiful paintings

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Gerasimos Day 16th August

Thanks Bob - this sounds definitely worth going to.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Gerasimos Day 16th August

It's a wonderful spectacle Bob, we've been lucky enough to witness the events a couple of times.

5. Re: St Gerasimos Day 16th August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2014, 07:19