We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire vehicle types

Witham, England...
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire vehicle types

Hi Everyone

Hopefully someone can help me, I've been to several Greek islands and always hired cars to fully explore the island.

I'm booked to go to Kefalonia in 2 weeks and am looking at car hire again now. In the past we've booked with Argus and another company that I can't remember the name of and not the named brands and it's been a bit hit and miss, both times I've just gone for the class A/mini-economy or whatever they call the basic model.

One time, in Skiathos I got a brand new Hyundai i10 which was quite nice, if a little weak for some of the roads but when I was in Rhodes I got an ancient fiat or something that was quite big and was hard to drive around the small streets of Rhodes new town.

I was hoping that someone that knows the car hire places in Kefalonia would be able to tell me roughly what type of car I would get, I'm happy to pay the extra few quid and get the next class up but I don't know if it's worth it if I'm still going to get some old heap. Online they all say a model name or similar. For example, Argus says Puegeot 107 or similar for basic and next one up is renault clio or similar.

Does anyone know which, if any of the car hire places in Kefalonia has the best/newest cars?

Thanks.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,872 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire vehicle types

Hi Alan,

Look at the following companies that are local and have good reputations.

The first two I know have full insurance with "no Excess" if you don't go "off road".

Greekstones, Pefanis, Venus car hire, CBR car hire.

I have never heard any bad comments about any local companies on kefalonia.

The companies all have cars that are reliable, some are newer than others in all companies. Most of their websites show the car you will usually get. It tends to be the the big international companies that say "or similar"

The companies are very booked up and someone is also asking because when he wants one the first three I have mentioned are already fully booked.

Somebody has recommended this firm but I know nothing of them except that they are a bit dearer.

http://www.neptune-rentacar.com/cars.html

Best of luck

Bob

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire vehicle types

Hi Alan

We always hire an A class car and over the past 3-4 years, that has included a Toyota Aygo, a Peugeot 107 and Citroen C1.

Bakewell, United...
Level Contributor
539 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire vehicle types

Pefanis seem to have a good turnover of cars so we booked a Toyota Yaris with them and as described on their website it was as good as new....plus they were the cheapest

Devon
Level Contributor
303 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire vehicle types

Sooooomany threads on this! CBR, Grrekstones, Pefanis as mentioned above....

Witham, England...
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire vehicle types

I couldn't see any threads on the quality of the cars supplied, just what companies to use.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,872 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire vehicle types

Hi again,

Greekstones, Pefanis, CBR, Venus, all have their logos on the side of the cars. I have not seen as far as I can remember a scruffy car. A few have scratches on but when they have such a quick turnaround that is to be expected. I have only suffered one breakdown in over 20 years of visiting the island and that was a car from an International company and it was a battery lead that had worked loose so I am not worried about quality.

Bob

Cheshire
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire vehicle types

Hi Alan L

As travelbob31 has said on blog 1 and I do do agree with him, most hire companies are ok it's a mater of price and what you get for it, email a few mentioned above hire firms. I have used cefaloniarentacar for many years and have never had any problems. cscsurrey2013 used them recently and left a comment on this page

tripadvisor.co.uk/…51765203

Matlock
Level Contributor
2 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire vehicle types

Hertz in the airport are literaly double the price of the places directly outside the airport, they are very busy and only let you have what is left at that moment . Word of warning, there are no car rental firm ads inside the terminal building so when you land unless you walk out of the airport you can make the mistake of thinking that there is only Hertz and Europa car on the island. I nearly ended up paying 1,100 Euros for 1 week in a Volkswagen Caravel because I didnt realise the other car hire companies are not allowed to advertise in the airport. Thankfully I went outside for a cigarette first. Do yourself a favour, go outside the front door of the airport before you hire a car. It isnt like a normal airport where you would find 6-8 hire companies with booths, there are only 2 inside.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,872 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire vehicle types

Hi, I agree in general about inside the airport looking as if it is only Hertz and Europa but Pefanis (a local company) do have a booth in the airport. It is in the far right hand corner as you come out of baggage reclamation.

I always advise people who want a car during the peak seasons to book before on the internet as the cheaper firms often run out of cars.

Bob

Jersey
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire vehicle types

Hi, agree with you Bob, we have just booked a car for end of September with Pefanis and have used them every time we go to Kefalonia. Just book via website and you will get confirmation immediately; no deposit, no credit card details, etc. just turn up on date advised to them and the car will be in the car park. Please take cash to pay although they will take cards, it can take months before the card companies pay out. This will be the third time we have used them this year so I have no hesitation recommending them. By the way Bob we have stayed in Lassi, Korini (near Katelois), Skala and Fiscardo over many years but have only stopped in Agia Efimia for breakfast/lunch on our way north to Fiscardo. On our last trip in June we had breakfast in AE and spotted a lovely small hotel overlooking the bay so after making enquiries found out that it is a Greek family owned hotel so got in touch with them. They could not have been more accommadating and we got a great deal for the last week in September. Hopefully we will enjoy AE as much as you obviously do.