We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wedding help - Ionian islands but which one? whats your fav

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Topic
wedding help - Ionian islands but which one? whats your fav

Looking for help regarding a wedding.

Me and my partner are looking to get married abroad, and have been looking at the Greek Islands. (Ionioan islands)

For the wedding itself we like the idea of an area which is beautiful, scenic island which is lush with green, flowers, trees, rural, traditional, beautiful views etc. Nothing spoilt, full of tourists, tourist shops etc. We do not mind staying in a resort somewhere more popular etc but again we want it to be nice and special but cater for our guests holiday needs and then we can travel to the wedding area. something off the beaten track for the wedding.

We want an island that won’t be too expensive as we are aware our guests will need to pay money to come but we don’t want them to begrudge the cost of everything. A lot of our guests will be brining children too.

Neither of us has been to any Greek island :/ but we will pick an island and visit it before we book anything. We looked at a chapel in Assos in Kefalonia but I am unsure about this because some people have said it is expensive and very touristy.

We will need to travel during the summer half term most probably as their is a teacher in our family.

Other islands mentioned have been Kos (but I am not sure if this is too ‘burnt’ looking scenery and rocky, and Skiathos but some have said this is small and not a high variety of things to do)

So… I am asking you guys for your personal thoughts and opinions on any Ionian islands and areas, what they are like, what they look like and cost to fly there/eat etc.

The ionioan islands have been mentioned as being 'greener' than other islands.

Id prefer an island which can be flown to direct from UK mainland, something not too expensive for the flights so our guests can come.

thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Assos
Assos
1,632 Reviews
Cephalonia, Greece
Kos
Kos
Dodecanese, Greece
Bakewell, United...
Level Contributor
543 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wedding help - Ionian islands but which one? whats your fav

We got married in Sri Lanka which was fantastic but may be a bit far for your guests so out of the Ionians it would have to be Kefalonia or Paxos.

Mentioned in this post
Paxos
Paxos
Ionian Islands, Greece
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: wedding help - Ionian islands but which one? whats your fav

I really like the look of Kefalonia but (and I am only going on what I have found online) but it looks like it is quite expensive once there and not many tour operators fly there? is this true.

Also, does Assos gets busy with tourists during summer months.

I know it isnt an Ionian but what is Rhodes like? what does the island "look" like?

sorry, ive only recently discovered trip advisor fourms so I am going mad on questions as I really need the help

thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Assos
Assos
1,632 Reviews
Cephalonia, Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wedding help - Ionian islands but which one? whats your fav

Hi there

Kefalonia is pretty green all year round and has drop dead scenery throughout and some amazing beaches. You'll have to look at flight websites as prices change on a daily basis. One thing for sure is that the sooner you book the flights, the cheaper they are likely to be,. As for food costs, it totally depends what you eat, same as it does here or anywhere else. You can eat out in a restaurant and pay €30 for two people for a two course meal and house wine, or double or treble that, just depends what you choose to eat and drink.

Kefalonia has lots of little coves, bays and secluded spots but it's impossible to describe them all on here. Public transport, i.e. buses, is poor on the island so you'll need to book taxis to wherever the wedding and reception are to be held. Best thing to do is to read up on the island, see if it sounds appealing, and then visit it and have a good scout around. Better still enlist the help of a wedding planner and let them take the strain.

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wedding help - Ionian islands but which one? whats your fav

We are getting married in Kefalonia in June 2015 and are using Cephalonia concierge to organise it for us. We visited Kefalonia 7 years ago and fell in love with the Island, and recently went in July and it was just as beautiful! I would highly recommend it as it will suit all your guests regardless of their circumstances ie children and older family members. Get in touch if you would like to know anything else :-)

Mentioned in this post
Cephalonia
Cephalonia
Ionian Islands, Greece
Bakewell, United...
Level Contributor
543 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wedding help - Ionian islands but which one? whats your fav

There are a handful of airlines that fly to Kefalonia (inc Easyjet) and no its not expensive. Went to Rhodes 5 times when I was younger but its not what you would call a green island and it doent have the charm of Kefalonia. Never been to Asoss so I cant say but I would imagine it can get a healthy influx of tourists during the day but returns to normal in the evening. There is definately a wedding planner on Kefalonia as she took part in a tv series not very long ago

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: wedding help - Ionian islands but which one? whats your fav

thank you

thank you :)

Lorna, that is when we would be looking too, please can I have some more details from you? :)

Devon
Level Contributor
303 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wedding help - Ionian islands but which one? whats your fav

Been to Kefalonia last 5 years, Kos twice and Corfu once. Kefalonia by far the prettier and less 'touristy' of the bunch and perhaps less arid too. Again depends when you go. Hit any island in July/August and you'll hit swarms of holiday makers and kids that perhaps could spoil for some. I always like going mid June as first choice or mid September as second. Nice atmosphere, nice temperature and not too manic

Mentioned in this post
Kos
Kos
Dodecanese, Greece
Corfu
Corfu
Ionian Islands, Greece
Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wedding help - Ionian islands but which one? whats your fav

What would u like to know? I hope I can be of help! :-) PM me if you would like x

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: wedding help - Ionian islands but which one? whats your fav

PM'ed - i think

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
108 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply