We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I bring food out?

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
106 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Can I bring food out?

Hi everyone,

I am flying out to Kefalonia tomorrow, and was planning on packing a few food items in my case. We are self catering and it was just to tie us over save dashing straight out to the shops.

Does anyone know if this could be a potential problem please.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
500 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I bring food out?

We normally take bits & pieces to start us off & never have had a problem. Just watch your weight both in hand & cabin baggage as depending on who checks you in here they can be quite strict if you go over your weight limit.

Wherever you are staying there will almost certainly be a mini market where you can pick up water etc. & they stay open late in the evening.

Have a great time, we got back last Saturday & already it seems like a distant memory

Edited: 20 September 2013, 12:16
Level Contributor
2,976 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I bring food out?

Hi MCN. It depends on where you are staying & distance to a supermarket. I can comment on Lassi & say nowhere is far from a shop, Bob & others can fill you in on other resorts. We only take some coffee, mainly because we're a bit fussy on what we like!!!!!!! Enjoy

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,332 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I bring food out?

Hi MCN,

As I really like my Typhoo I always take some and also some Marmite as it is about treble the price on the island.

As thisistheone says almost all places have minimarkets and they are generally open until about 10pm. As it is getting towards the end of the season some may well be reverting to winter hours which means closing between about 1pm and 6pm.

Of things you bring yourself just beware of weight and the possibility of spillages in your suitcase!

Have a great time

Bob

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I bring food out?

I think it's illegal to take fruit and veg. I usually take a par baked ciabatta and mini jam and coffee - so first breakfast is sorted. . The refill packs of coffee are nice and light. If you have something to eat at the airport, put a few packs of salt and pepper in your pocket!

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
106 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I bring food out?

Thank you for your replies, I was thinking of bacon, sausage and cheese, just because I'm a bit fussy, oh and a packet of cooked meat, assuming I am within the weight allowance.

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,499 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I bring food out?

You will find all those in the local shops, If you go for brands that you recognise they will cost more than local ones, but you can probably get the ones you like. There is a Lidl near Argostoli.

Level Contributor
2,976 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I bring food out?

The local cooked meats are xcellent

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
106 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I bring food out?

Decision made, I've taken it all out, beginning to sound too much like a typical 'Brit abroad', plus there was no room for hubby's clothes.

Thanks everyone, hope the sun is out to greet us tomorrow

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
106 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I bring food out?

Just another question then please.

We are picking a car up at the airport and staying in Svoronata, where are the supermarkets?

Thanks

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I bring food out?

<<I think it's illegal to take fruit and veg>>

No, within the EU you can take anything.