We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter in Cephalonia

Level Contributor
14 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Winter in Cephalonia

Dear All,

Has anybody ever been to Cephalonia outside of the regular holiday season (I was surprised to learn from our Olympic rep that these days the holiday season goes onto 22nd October)? How did you get there (is the airport open during winter) and what accommodation options did you find and how about eateries? Did you find the experience rewarding and what did you do?

I really fancy the idea of an out of season explore of the island but is it a practical proposition? Any thoughts / advice or practical experiences would be good to hear.

Best wishes.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter in Cephalonia

Hi there

Kefalonia has various "year round" towns where lfe will go on as usual, albeit some of the bars and restaurants may well be closed. There's the capital Argostoli, as well as Lixouri and Fiskardo. The resorts will effectively be closed down from late October through till early May. Argostoli is the best bet as it has some excellent shops and is the hub for the island's somewhat limited bus services, plus there will always be rooms or apartments to rent.

Charter flights will be finished by the end of October so you'd have to get there via Athens from where a bus service runs to the island and there are bound to be limited flights as well.

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
Level Contributor
3,638 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter in Cephalonia

How long a stay did you have in mind? A month or more and you should look at some of the adverts on yellow paper with red writing that you'll find posted on lampposts and in supermarkets offering properties for rent. The key word to look for is ΕΝΟΙΚΙΑΖΕΤΑΙ but you might need help to decipher the contents. You should be able to find somewhere furnished with a couple of bedrooms and central heating for €200 a month.

Bear in mind that the Ionian gets lots of rain in the winter.

Level Contributor
14 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter in Cephalonia

Thank you for the replies - much appreciated.

I'm not sure of the time scale to be honest, but judging by what's been said so far, a month would seem to be the minimum due to the dificulty of getting there but I am sure it would be worth the effort to see this lovely island in a different light. I will have to get my thinking cap on.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
505 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter in Cephalonia

Winter on the island is fantastic, as long as you are prepared for the fact it can rain, for days at a time. Base yourself near Argostoli and you will have everything you require on your doorstep, all the tavernas, coffee shops and restaurants are open, people have more time for chatting and in general it is far more relaxed than the summer months. We have now done two winters out there, Dec/Jan and February this year, and Jan and March last year. Taking a drive up Mt Aenos in the snow was a fantastic experience in 2012, the snow was metres deep and we followed the snow plough up. This year there wasn't as much snow, but we still had a trip up and managed to get a little further up the mountain than previously. We are booked to go back next January and again Feb/March, both trips with EJ via Athens and then Olympic from Athens to Kefalonia. We considered the ferry/bus option, but if the weather s inclement the ferries can, and do, get cancelled.

Edited: 29 September 2013, 11:02
Level Contributor
14 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter in Cephalonia

Thank you for the reply - so is it relatively easy to fly to Cephalonia from Athens then?

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,471 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter in Cephalonia

Hi,

Looks fairly easy if you choose the right day!

Have a look at this link. I put in a dummy request for November.

https:/…LowFareCalendar

This is the home site for Olympic Air

https://www.olympicair.com/en

Bob

PS I am jealous that you can get away then!!

Level Contributor
14 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter in Cephalonia

Thanks for the info but don't get jealous too early, its all very much in the planning stage and unlikely to be this year (barring a handy lottery win!)

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
505 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter in Cephalonia

Yes, easy if you realise that the Olympic flights back don't tie up with Easyjet!! Going out we fly Manchester to Athens approx. 08.00, getting into Athens at 13.50, the Olympic flight departs at 17.25 and flies to Kefalonia via Zakynthos (a new thing for this year!!) getting into Kefalonia at about 19.15. Flying back we either fly Wednesday or Friday from Athens, but have to fly off the island on a Monday (for the Wednesday EJ flight) or a Wednesday (for the Friday EJ flight) as the Olympic flight does not leave till the evening, getting back into Athens at 21.15. It's a good excuse to have two nights and a full day in Athens though. In the summer there are two flights a day, in winter just the one, and no flights on a Tuesday or a Thursday. We have in the past flown Lufthansa Manchester to Athens, via Munich, and then Aegean Munich to Athens. We are going next Thursday for three weeks, EJ from London Gatwick direct, good prices if you book early enough even taking into account the fuel to drive down and back, one nights accommodation and car park charges, think it's cost us about £420 for everything.

Level Contributor
14 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter in Cephalonia

Have a great time.

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
505 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winter in Cephalonia