We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time To Kefalonia

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
First Time To Kefalonia

Staying in Markopoulo for three weeks end of August with transport. First time in Kefalonia so any recommendations regarding eating out (authentic or otherwise) would be gratefully received. Any other information to make our holiday special would also be appreciated, Such as boat hire and best beaches to visit etc.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,421 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time To Kefalonia

Hi Haydn and welcome.

I cannot help re eating in and around Markopoulo, however you are not far from Katelios and Skala where there are many tavernas.

The best beach especially if you have young children is Kaminia Beach. From Markopoulo there is a steep road next to the church which winds its way down towards Katelios, you then turn East for a few Km and down another fairly steep road to a beach that has a very shallow sea for about 50metres out.

Other posts say that you can hire a boat with outboard at Katelios. I prefer to hire from Agia Efimia as there are lots of small coves and beaches to explore going north. It is however about an hour or so drive North from Markopolou.

There is a great drive through the Mountains to Sami where you can visit Melissani and Drogerati caves followed by time on Antisamos Beach which is perfectly safe but slopes fairly steeply.

If you can give us some more information about who "we" are and what your interests are (historical sites? shopping? nightlife? etc.) then we can give you a lot more ideas.

You will really enjoy the island.

Do you want a route from Airport to Markopoulo?

Bob

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time To Kefalonia

Hi Bob Thank you for the information it is a great help as we are first timers. I have purchased a couple of guide books such as Berlitz and Landmark Visitor Guide who recommend what I would consider the tourist places. Although I am sure we will partake in many of the suggestions they offer we wanted knowledge of first hand experience from people such as yourself. We are staying up the hill in Markopoulo in a friends villa with a car so distance is no issue particularly as we like to go out and about and explore. At retirement age but are happy to look around and discover what places have to offer mixed with visiting the tourist spots. Have heard some tavernas let you choose dinner from the kitchen stove something we would like to try. Also not adverse to Island hopping with car.

Edited: 26 January 2014, 10:25
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time To Kefalonia

Hi Bob

Directions from airport would be a great help. I do have a freytag and berndt map of Kefalonia but verbal directions are always a huge help. Thank you

UK
Destination Expert
for Ayia Napa, Puerto Del Carmen, Skala, Cyprus, Protaras
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time To Kefalonia

Haydn..............you might find this useful as well with regards doing a large shop before you leave Argostoli when you arrive. tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g664630-i12150-k…

Otherwise your choice is limited in Katelios/Skala and surrounding areas

UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time To Kefalonia

With regards directions from the airport.............I used Rewsmissus directions at post #1 on this post tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g664630-i12150-k… it worked perfectly for us first time. The only difference is when you reach the fork in the road just above Katelios your not taking the right hand fork your staying on the main road as indicated on this Google map, http://goo.gl/maps/Dm9W6

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,421 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time To Kefalonia

Hi again,

Route first:-

There is a different shorter route bur this one avoids going through little tiny villages with twisty roads and missing signposts.

Follow the road uphill out of the airport (past the petrol station if you need it). Turn left at the T junction towards Lassi and Argostoli. Follow this road past the White Rocks Hotel and through Lassi. At the end of this resort the road curves gently uphill. At the crest of the hill there are two right turns. The first is very sharp; the second, which you need, is a newish road in front of the Avin petrol station. Follow this road for just under 1.5km to a T junction where you turn left and follow the road to the end where there is a triangular patch of grass. Fork right here and turn on to the main road. After about 1km there is a roundabout where you carry straight on (first exit). This road becomes a dual carriageway (a rarity on the island!). There are two more roundabouts and near the second of these are three supermarkets, Lidl, AB and one that begins with M and I have forgotten its name! Continue through Peratata, Vlachata and past the track on the right to Sission Monastery ( the ruined one beyond the new one is worth a visit sometime). After going through Platies there is a right fork to Skala. You keep left signposted Poros. This takes you into Markopolou.

A few points on things you may have seen mentioned in your guide books.

St Georges Castle is closed Mondays and also because of the economic situation seems to be closed often recently. The café beside the castle is worth a visit anyway and they will have a good idea of when it will be open. At the bottom of the hill there is a road to Metaxata. within a km there is a turning to left to a monastery with a museum of church icons rescued from churches that collapsed in the 1953 earthquake attached. It is only open mornings. Just beyond that turning is one to the right and a few hunred metres along that road are a lot of myceneum tombs. The site is often closed but it is not fenced off properly!

From Vlachata is a road round the edge of Mt Ainos to the Monastery of St Gerasimo (open mornings and evenings only) that is shown as unpaved. It is perfectly fine to drive along unless you have hired a low slung sports car!. From the Monastery you can drive northish to the main Sami - Argostoli, Turn right and then turn right again to drive up to the summit on a road which, apart from one very short section that needs repairing, is good tarmac and completely driveable. You have to retrace your steps as the road down to the South East from the summit is only realistic in a 4x4 because of the ground clearance needed.

Mt Assos needs visiting early in the day if you are walking up to the fortress as by lunchtime there is no shade on the path up. There are no facilities up there either.

Myrtos Beach is better seen from above than visited in my opinion. It looks sandy but is nearly all pebbles, the café sells prepacked food and if the wind is in the wrong direction, swimming can be VERY dangerous because of the undercurrents.

To almost guarantee seeing turtles visit Argostoli harbour, just beyond the market in the morning when the fishermen are unloading and gutting their fish.

I.ll leave others to add other thoughts

Have a great time.

Bob

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time To Kefalonia

Hi Thanks very much for the information. Just feel it will make our holiday that little bit special.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,421 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time To Kefalonia

Hi again,

Have a look at this link

http://www.goinggreek.info/driving.html

Also others contributed whist I was typing so lots of overlap!

Bob

Edited: 26 January 2014, 12:08
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time To Kefalonia

Special thanks to Bob and Miss Chief we are now very exceited and so looking forward to our holiday with all this helpful information.

UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time To Kefalonia

Your welcome.............hope you fall in love as we all have...........I'm sure you will.

p.s. Note to Bob, type faster :) ;)