We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wasps - deal breaker?

Harrisburg...
5 posts
Save Topic
wasps - deal breaker?

Thinking of 2-3 weeks in Kefalonia, mid to late September. I've read that wasps can be a real nuisance (several questions/posts on this topic). I'm really allergic to wasp&bee stings as I experience anaphylactic shock. This would be a deal breaker for me. Are the towns of Fiskardo or Assos less affected than Sami, Lixouri, Argostoli or Skala?? If Kefalonia is rife with wasps at this time then I'll have to consider another Greek island where this might not be as much of an issue. Any info is extremely appreciated.

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Fiscardo
Level Contributor
1,971 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wasps - deal breaker?

Hi davidds and welcome.

We were in Cephalonia in September last year and did a split centre, Lourdas and Fiscardo.

In Lourdas they were a nightmare in relation to numbers and being persistent in going after your food, they would appear from nowhere and be IN your food in an instant. We thought this was because Lourdas is very agricultural and that maybe they were attracted by the crops.

However Fiscardo wasn't a great deal better.

You will no doubt be aware from the other posts to which you refer, some places do try to distract/repel them with burning coffee beans and the likes but the fact that so few places even tried made us wonder how effective they are.

Having said all of the above, I never felt under threat, they seemed quite docile really and only interested in food not humans. We certainly never came across anyone who had been stung.

We, and others, tended to eat indoors during the day because they didn't bother you at night or if you weren't eating.

Easy for me to say of course but as annoying as the little blighters were, it wouldn't put me off visiting in September in the future.

Hope Valley, United...
Level Contributor
871 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wasps - deal breaker?

Hi davidds 19

What an awful decision you have to make. I am a frequent visitor to Kefalonia - Skala in particular and I absolutely love the island. Therefore I am really struggling to give you the advice you need as I don't want you to miss the opportunity to experience this wonderful place. However in August last year there were a fair few wasps around. We noticed it in particular in the evening when it was just beginning to go dark but only at certain restaurants. The lady who owned the accomadation said that the wasps were really bad and this was unusual and I have to say I agreed with her. I have not noticed them as much in the past and I am always really wary because my son has so many allergies and intolerances to pollen, cats, dogs, kiwi fruit, trees etc the list goes on and because he hasn't ever been stung I always worry. I probably am not being very helpful here but I can't help wondering if the wasps were bad in Kefalonia last year would they have been bad in other areas of Greece?

Level Contributor
4,228 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wasps - deal breaker?

Hi Davidds. I to am allergic to wasps & visit Lassi in Sept. Last year there were a few more than in previous years but I never had a problem. Basically just ignore them, don't flap at them & if necessary just move away. This has served me well over many years. Don't let a few wasps put you off visiting the fantastic island of Kefalonia. Go & enjoy

London
Level Contributor
796 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wasps - deal breaker?

Hi Davidds

I have always said that I would never visit the Ionian Islands after the end of July again! this also goes for the more northerly green islands of Greece too. I love these islands, but hate wasps! They did indeed ruin our time there a few years back - you had to be there!.. People were being stung on the beach (including myself) when simply relaxing with no food etc.. You couldn't even think about that outside meal or drink in the sunshine - a big part of our holiday.

IMO..and I have said this before on TA - The later in the season you travel, the further south you go if you want to avoid wasps.

Rhodes, Kos, Crete and other less green islands are a safer bet to avoid those annoying little ----s later in the season. The weather's usually better too.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
440 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wasps - deal breaker?

What a dilemma. Kefalonia is a beautiful island and we go to Fiscardo every year but I would agree with all the above posts in that wasps can be a problem. I have been stung on several occasions and it's not pleasant. If you suffer from anaphylactic shock it may be too big a risk. There is only one hospital and that's in Argostoli , the capital, and believe me you would not want to end up in there as I did last year (not for wasp stings)! It's a terrible filthy place, although I think the medical care is ok. Sorry, probably not being of much help really but if I were you I would think very carefully. Your health comes first!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,509 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wasps - deal breaker?

Hi davidds,

<<There is only one hospital and that's in Argostoli>>

There is also one in Lixouri with an A&E and a daily visit by a doctor. There are also medical centres in some resorts.

We also have had cause to visit the hospital in Argostoli. We did not find it dirty at all. We did find it shabby but could not fault the treatment, albeit for a fairly minor accident.

Yes the presence of wasps can be a problem but as some of the other posters have said we have never been stung or seen anybody stung.

If you suffer from Anaphylactic shock do you have an epi pen and do the rest of your family know how to use it? If so it could be worth the risk.

During the day we have been annoyed by wasps in Fiscardo, Antisamos and Skala. I do not recollect seeing many at Assos, Argostoli or Agia Efimia (except at a villa with lots of trees and shrubs)

Hope this helps a bit.

Bob

UK
Destination Expert
for Ayia Napa, Puerto Del Carmen, Skala, Cyprus, Protaras
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wasps - deal breaker?

On our trip in Sept last year we found them to be okay in Skala where we stayed, no issue at all. However there were quite a few in Katlios where we spent many days, having said that the bar/restaurant owners has it sussed with various set ups to deter them from cut half bottles full of sugary water and a brown powder that they'd burn early evening to keep them at bay. However, we spent a day in Lourdas and they were a total nightmare. On arrival at the beach I was stung twice almost immediately under the arm, no flapping or encouragement or food involved I was simply laying our towels out..........we had to leave the beach eventually as I didn't feel too good and was too paranoid about the little buggers hovering around.

I did get some spray from a chemist in Argostoli and mixed this with my suncream.......no problems after that and I'll be taking it with me again this year. I didn't experience any in Sami, Assos or Fiscardo on our travels...............perhaps they don't like the north :)

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
440 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wasps - deal breaker?

Sorry Bob forgot about the hospital in Lixouri but thought that was a very small one and felt the one in Argostoli would be better equipped to deal with anaphylactic shock. You need instant treatment for this. Sorry to say but there are wasps in the north, I was stung in Fiscardo and Assos. You must have visited the hospital on a good day as last September it was filthy. Even the greek visitors were spraying antibacterials on everything before they touched even a door handle! Think the doctors and nurses have to make the best of a bad job! It hasn't put me off going this year though!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,509 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: wasps - deal breaker?

Here it is

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: wasps - deal breaker?

I stayed a lot in the south of the island last year, but also visited Fiscardo in the north. Yes in late season there were wasps around, but I found a lot more in Katelios than in Skala, just around the corner. I've found the best way to handle them is not to swipe at them or wave them away, but just put a dish of jam or honey in the far corner of your table and let them have that. Live and let live. The wasps seemed happy with that and left the rest of our food alone, and certainly none of us got stung. I've never yet been stung on Kefalonia.

I also use Incognito spray and after sun lotion, which is supposed to be for keeping mosquitos at bay (and does a fine job of it too!) but seemed to deter wasps too. I didn't get bitten once last year by mosquitos, and I'm normally a magnet for them, and certainly the wasps stayed off me too.

If you go earlier in the season though it may be better for you? I don't recall seeing a wasp in early June for example, and it's a lovely time to visit the island as it is still awash with colourful flowers and is very green.