We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changes to Skala high street

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Changes to Skala high street

I have just spotted this on another forum. Big changes underway to Skala high street, which is becoming pedestrianised according to this forum thread. I foresee a lot of parking problems and chaos! It's quite difficult anyway parking of an evening in Skala in high season, so I'm not sure how this is going to work as a permanent fixture. I never saw much wrong with simply closing the high street at the bottom end after 7 p.m. personally.

http://goinggreek.info/index.php?topic=112.0

Later on in the thread there is a post to say that it looks like only half of it will be done by the time the season starts, and that the other half will be done next winter.

Edited: 27 February 2014, 16:17
Mentioned in this post
Skala
Skala
Cephalonia, Greece
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
11,255 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changes to Skala high street

Thanks for the info Caroline x

Bet it won't stop the mopeds!!

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changes to Skala high street

I suspect you're right, Bob! LOL

Bakewell, United...
Level Contributor
543 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changes to Skala high street

Didnt stop a purple lamborghini last year either...

Level Contributor
4,574 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changes to Skala high street

From 7pm you shouldn't be driving anyway, sorry 7am your on hols don't drive!!!!!!

Level Contributor
201 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changes to Skala high street

....hmmmmm

Thanks for the information Caroline

Better stick to my flatties for evening walks through the High Street this season as opposed to my high heels (in case of none completion)

Level Contributor
67 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changes to Skala high street

This is dreadful news. The beauty of Skala is that it is an authentic, vibrant working village.

The bustle and buzz on the Main St with delivery trucks dropping off at the supermarkets and tavernas, the open topped truck laden with fruit and veg driving up and down the street with the owner announcing his presence through a loudspeaker, all this will be lost - and for what? As the op says, erecting the barrier at 7pm was sufficient.

The whole character of Skala will now change. The authentic village feel will be gone, and the town will move ever closer to being just another soulless, pedestrianised, sanitised tourist resort, rather than the charming, bustling Greek village that it was. Τι κρίμα .

Mentioned in this post
Skala
Skala
Cephalonia, Greece
Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changes to Skala high street

I too liked the bustle of the main street during the day. It's a shame. Also it will cause chaos on the side streets if we now can't drive straight up the main road. I've always driven straight up the main street to the top and then turned left to go towards Argostoli, and avoided the side roads as they are very narrow.

Edited: 02 March 2014, 19:55
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
11,255 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changes to Skala high street

Do you think it will actually stop delivery vehicles using the road (pavement)?

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Changes to Skala high street

I wonder! I guess we just have to wait and see - and presume the planners know what they are doing ....

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
11,255 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Changes to Skala high street

I agree with the first part of your comment .... but not so sure about the second part!! Lol!!