We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Ainos

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Mount Ainos

Hi I am going to Cephalonia in the summer and would like to climb Mount Ainos as it is bigger then any mountains in the UK. I am staying in Lassi and wont be hiring a car so would like to know how to get to the base of the mountain on public transport and also how to get back after the climb.

Any help will be great.

Thank You

UK
Level Contributor
847 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Ainos

Hi there,

Sorry can't help with public transport (mainly 'cos I don't think there is any).

Although not any experienced climber, I would suggest that its one heck of a climb to the top and back in a day and especially if you are going in July or August when it will be 40+ degrees. Most people walk/climb in Kefalonia in the Spring. If you do attempt it then please be fully prepared with loads of water.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Ainos

Hi,

Mt Ainos is not like any mountain in the UK. From the Argostoli to Sami road there is a tarmac road all the way to the top. There is a footpath that goes to the top from Digaleto and another that runs all the way round at about 1000 metres above sea level. There are some tracks suitable for 4x4s that run around most of the mountain. The mountain covers the South East corner of the island and any of the roads running round that part of the island are "the base" of the mountain.

There is a bus from Argostoli that runs to Sami but the nearest stop would probably be about 4km along a road before you reached a path or track.

Looking at a map, there is a faint path going up from Kolaiti but you would need to get the Argostoli to Skala bus and get dropped off at a fork in the road just before the village.

When I say "get dropped off" I have no idea if there is a bus stop there but hopefully the driver would be helpful!

Getting back would be up to you. You could hitch hike (we pick people up when we see them) but there is no public transport.

I used to do a lot of hill walking and expeditions before my knees became shot but I would not attempt Mt Ainos in the summer because of the heat. It could well be in the mid 30s Celsius. You would need to be wearing substantial walking shoes or boots and carry a lot of water. There are no streams that I am aware of that have water in them after May. There are no facilities on the mountain.

The best map if you are determined is by Anavasi. It is to a scale of 1:65000 and costs about £7 from Amazon. The name is "Cephalonia and Ithaca a hiking map No. 9.3. There is a picture of Mt Ainos on the cover.

This company may be able to give more help or advice.

kefalonia-elements.com/index.php/…hiking

Sorry to be so negative.

Bob

Edited: 28 March 2014, 16:47
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Ainos

My posting overlapped SimonJohnLuke's

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Ainos

Thanks after having a look it does seem like a very long day out. Maybe I could camp up there but I have lots of time to plan though so will think about it.

Thanks for the information

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Ainos

Hi,

Wild camping is not allowed in Greece although it does happen. A cooking fire if things went wrong would also cause incredible damage to the whole mountain as it is forested up to the siummit.

Bob

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mount Ainos

Maybe camping isn't the best idea. Just a quick question if anyone knows, Are there bears on Ainos?

Not that I am worried I just wondered.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mount Ainos

No bears on the island. However there are plenty of goats and on the southern slopes some very shy wild horses.

agni.gr/kefalonia_travel_guide/…index.asp

http://goinggreek.info/index.php?topic=319.msg1550;topicseen#new

Bob

UK
Level Contributor
847 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mount Ainos

Aren't bears in Russia and northern America only??? They are extinct in EU countries...

Are you sure you are really prepared for your trip up Mount Ainos??

Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mount Ainos

Ok no bears that's good. I have a few months to prepare to go up there. I haven't dissided whether to go but I would like to.

Thanks for the information

Rob

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
446 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mount Ainos

People have asked me in the past about walking up the mountain and I have always advised against.

I knew a shepherd, who sadly passed away a few years ago, who regularly walked from Vlachata to where his goats were, perhaps two hundred feet below the summit.

When we had driven up, we found him already there at seven in the morning. That means he had left long before daylight and was only able to get there so quickly by knowing the paths which are almost invisible to the uninitiated!

Also he knew where the springs are for water.

The locals will also tell you that in summer you must be off the mountain by eleven in the morning because of the heat. Except in the forest at the summit there is no shade.