We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I bring a 3yr old on a motorbike ride?

hzhu
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Can I bring a 3yr old on a motorbike ride?

Hello,

Mommy, daddy and a 3 yr old are visiting Cephalonia on a cruise boat. We'll only be there from 8am -12pm. We could rent a car but motorbike sound like so much more fun. (We did that in Italy and enjoyed it) I saw Sunbird offers 50cc which would be good for us so we plan to rent two of these. My husband plan to carry the kid in front of him. (can this be done?)

But is it legal to bring a child on a motorbike in Greece? (it is in China)

If the answer is no, then our choice would be rent a car or hire a taxi. I believe car is about 30euro a day as base price. How much should I expect to pay for insurance and fee, etc? I just want to work out the math then decide if it's worth the hassle renting one or hire a taxi for a few hours.

Thanks for your advise!

hzhu
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I bring a 3yr old on a motorbike ride?

correction: We did in Italy just me and hubby, didn't bring the kid that time. So we actually are unsure if it's feasible to have the 3 yr old sit in front of daddy. Has anyone seen this being done in Cephalonia or anywhere Greece?

Thanks!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,420 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I bring a 3yr old on a motorbike ride?

Hi hzhu,

It is illegal in Greece to have a child sitting in front of you. I have seen it happen in the villages but that doesn't make it legal and if you are on a cruise the last thing you want is to be spending hours in a police station and perhaps missing you cruise departure.

Have a look at the companies below. The price you see is the price you pay. Some companies would like you to pay extra to cover CDW some include it. Some may charge delivery for only 4 hours hire. Read their terms and conditions carefully. All of these are recommended by regular visitors to the island.

www.pefanis-carhire.com/en/bookings/index

greekstones-rentacar.com/english/company.htm

http://venusrental.gr/newen/#!/home

http://www.cbr-rentacar.com/index.html

cefaloniarentacar.com/index-english.html

http://www.neptune-rentacar.com/index.html

In my opinion I would just walk from the cruise ship along the harbour so the little one can see the turtles around the fishing boats in the harbour. Then have a look around Argostoli. Perhaps have a look at the Historical and Folk Museum. (closed Mondays)

greeka.com/ionian/…kefalonia-museums.htm

Or perhaps take a taxi to a beach at Lassi

Hope I've answered a few questions and perhaps raised a few more!

Bob

hzhu
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I bring a 3yr old on a motorbike ride?

Bob,

Thanks for the reply. We watched that Mr. Cage's movie (are any of it filmed at Lassi?) and are ambitious to try to see as much as we can within that short window. Potentially we can leave the kid on the cruise in the kids club so hubby and I are much more mobile. If that's what we decide to do, and we rent motor bikes, what's your recommended itinerary?

Btw, its from 12pm-5pm our cruise will be there, not 8-12. I just double checked.

Thank you

Tootoo

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,420 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I bring a 3yr old on a motorbike ride?

Hi again,

The link below tells you where the scenes were shot.

agni.gr/kefalonia_travel_guide/…

Most of the places mentioned are in the East of the island (you dock in the West!). Myrtos Beach is one exception and if your cruise liner approaches Argostoli down the East coast you will pass it.

Sami where a lot was filmed, was closed down for a few weeks and had a film set built round it and so you will not recognise much apart from the harbour. Antisamos still looks much the same (except for the sunbeds and parasols!). Above Antisamos is the ruined monastery of Ag Fanentes

In a car, it will take about an hour to drive through the mountains, to the area of Sami, Antisamos and Karavomilos. Some of the villages (Domata for example) around there I have not heard (of and cannot find on my map so they must be small.

Apart from Captain Corelli places there is:

St George's Castle (often closed for economic reasons)

Melissani and Drogerati Caves (only worth going to, in my opinion, if you are already in the Sami area)

The summit of Mt. Ainos (on the way to Sami).

The monastery of St. Gerasimo also on the way to Sami although the actual church is closed during the afternoons.

The Robola Winery (just round the corner to the monastery).

I wonder if a 50cc bike is powerful enough to cope with the mountains in the time you have.

Another alternative is to use the company below which has a good reputation but I have no idea of the costs. I met a couple who had asked for a Jeep Safari based on Captain Corelli. They were very impressed.

http://www.kefalonia-elements.com/index.php

Hope this helps a bit

Bob

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Fiscardo
Level Contributor
1,953 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I bring a 3yr old on a motorbike ride?

Hi Tootoo

On the Captain Corelli theme, the locations are spread pretty wide over the island. As Bob says, the majority are on the East coast, in and around Sami and Antisamos beach.

There were a few scenes shot in southern suburbs of Argostoli but as they were 'road scenes' there's nothing much to see. The villages of Domata and Dihalia where the Doctors House and village were shot no longer exist, they were destroyed by the 1953 earthquakes and rebuilt for the film on the strict understanding that the buildings were then demolished and the area left as it was found.

Much depends on what in particular caught your eye, if it was the villages and town scenes, then as stated, they don't exist. If it was the beautiful scenery, then much of this (other than Antisamos beach) was shot near Sia monastery to the south of Myrtos on the west coast, including the love scene, Pelagia in the fields when the aircraft fly over head, and of course Myrtos beach itself.

In theory it should be possible to do a circular tour up the east coast to Myrtos and back along the east coast to Antisamos under your own steam in your time frame but you would be pushing it and putting yourself under pressure.

Best perhaps to either take Bob's advice and arrange a private tour or just select one area, stick to that and enjoy it at your leisure before planning your return to this beautiful island for a longer stay!

Have a fabulous holiday.

hzhu
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I bring a 3yr old on a motorbike ride?

Hi,

I hear you both! Sami is too far for our short stay.

I'll look into tours that can cover some ground.

If we don't end up taking a tour, we'd want to select one area do it ourselves. Do you think it's feasible to ride motor bike (or rental car or taxi) to and from Assos and see Myrtos on the way within 4hr. Yet have time to relax a bit at a picture perfect beach?

Our priorities---Pls. help us to tie these points together and plan a trip.

1. See a bit of the island+historical village beyond Argostolion which is mostly rebuilt after 1953. Particularly Myrtos beach seems incredible from the road. (we know it's not a swimming friendly beach) Is Assos a reasonable destination?

2. Have a pleasant swim in a beautiful beach. Want a good 30 min reserved for this.

3. see and maybe swim the Melisa cave.

And, coastwise and time wise, if we hire a taxi to Assos does it make sense to keep the driver waiting for us when we sight seeing or it's very easy to hire another taxi back? Same question applies to Melisa cave.

Thanks!!

Tootoo

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,420 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I bring a 3yr old on a motorbike ride?

Hi,

Do not know when your cruise is in Argostoli.

There is an interesting problem at the moment. The road from Myrtos Beach to Assos was closed over winter to sort out one quite dangerous section. The idea was to put a temporary road bridge in ready for the tourist traffic in the summer season. Unfortunately there was a severe earthquake in January. Fortunately nobody was badly hurt but the aftershocks have delayed the installation of the bridge. Nobody can be sure when it will be ready.

This means quite a big detour over the mountain. I haven't ridden a motorbike for some 40 years and so do not feel able to comment on how good a 50cc bike would be on the diversion.

How about this:- Drive to St George's Castle. There are a few old dwellings up by the castle, a lovely café beside the castle, and a ruined church in a vary precarious state behind the houses. At the bottom of the hill on the road to Metaxata are some Myceneum tombs. If the site is closed it is easy to walk in round the back!!

There is also a circular drive, from the North side of the Hill that St George's Castle is on, through to The Monastery of St Gerasimo and back to Argostoli.

As fiscardofan says, you really need to plan a two week holiday on the island!!

Bob

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,663 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I bring a 3yr old on a motorbike ride?

Although you'll see the locals doing it all the time its illegal(& dangerous) to have 3 people on any 2 seater motorcycle. Having a child sitting in front of the "driver" will seriously affect his control of the bike. Do you really want to risk the safety & wellbeing of your child?

Even with 2 people on board a 50cc bike will be seriously underpowered & a danger to bot yourselves & other road users.

Get a car. The price quoted usually includes basic insurance & fees. CDW insurance may cost you about €5 extra per day.

Edited: 12 April 2014, 09:04
Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,614 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I bring a 3yr old on a motorbike ride?

When I read the OP question I feel I gets angry. Only thinking of carrying a little child like an air-bag on a scooter sound like in-sane to me. Dont you love your child ?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I bring a 3yr old on a motorbike ride?

i agree,it is not safe..get a car and enjoy a safe ride..otherwise you are risking your child's safety