We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash / Debit cards / Travellers Cheques?

New Forest, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Cash / Debit cards / Travellers Cheques?

Hi all

How is it best to take funds over to Kefalonia? Do most people still use traveller's cheques? Or is it cheap enough to just draw cash out of cash points from the bank account over there?

Thank you!

Rachel

Level Contributor
4,574 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash / Debit cards / Travellers Cheques?

We take cash & draw cash from ATM's. Set up with your bank before you go to get no commission transfers

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,679 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash / Debit cards / Travellers Cheques?

Travellers cheques are a thing of the past. I rely on ATMs as I go.

Edited: 19 April 2014, 17:12
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
11,255 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash / Debit cards / Travellers Cheques?

Hi,

Travellers cheques are history in Europe including Kefalonia. Plenty of ATMs in most resorts.

Check with your bank on charges. Generally better to withdraw 300euros rather than three lots of 100euros for example

Bob

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash / Debit cards / Travellers Cheques?

I have a Caxton FX Euro currency card which is excellent. It is a Visa DEBIT card (not credit card) and you top it up with Euros online at the Caxton website before you go. You can then use it in any ATM on the island to withdraw cash, free of any fees, or in shops, tavernas etc as a standard debit card. Although do bear in mind that due to the high percentages charged by Visa to the shop owners, most would prefer you paid cash.

You can even top up your Caxton card on their website from your English £ bank account when you are out in Kefalonia, if you need to do so. it is a very safe way of carrying currency, and Caxton give excellent Euro rates.

Highly recommended.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,389 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash / Debit cards / Travellers Cheques?

Simple, take cash (Euros), ATM plastic cards for more Euros, Travellers cheques for emergency reserve. That's in order of usefulness.

Charges are the price of a pint, who cares,

UK
Level Contributor
959 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash / Debit cards / Travellers Cheques?

What's a travellers cheque ?!?! Cash to start you off and then cash point machines.

Some of the pre-load cards are also good. Check this link out for best rate.

http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/

Hope you enjoy your holiday... SJL

Cheshire
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cash / Debit cards / Travellers Cheques?

People are always asking about ATM'S and the best way to get local cash but as Bob has said 300 is better than 3 * 100 and the point I would like to make is the Island is a very safe place, tourist crime is very low (so low I have never found anyone making a complaint)

8. Re: Cash / Debit cards / Travellers Cheques?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2015, 05:15