We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cephalonia or Zakynthos?

Littleborough...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cephalonia or Zakynthos?

I'm looking to book a late deal (2nd/3rd week in May) to a Greek island and I just can't decide between these 2 islands - and which resorts on them to look at. I'm 3 months pregnant so my husband and I have decided to have a holiday while we can! We are mid-30s and want somewhere authentically Greek with a good selection of places to eat but want to stay away from big nightlife areas. We are looking for somewhere that has some pretty easy-going walks, ancient sites, picturesque areas and boat trips. I was thinking either of these islands because then we could do a day trip to Olympia. I've been to Kos (a bit dull IMO), Crete (great history) and Santorini (gorgeous!) so far and love Greece so really looking forward to going back. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Emma

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,421 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cephalonia or Zakynthos?

Hi,

Before you consider which island, I would consider again the day trip to Olympia. Look at this link which reports on such trips from Cephalonia and I imagine it would be similar from Zakynthos.

A lot of Cephalonia was destroyed in an earthquake in 1953 so, as most villages and towns were rebuilt after then there are few "old" places. Fiscardo in the north of the island is one exception that escaped the quake.

There are some ancient sites; mycemeum tombs, Roman villa remain, Venetian fortresses etc. but not the amount that you find in Crete.

There are many lovely resorts that are fairly authentic (whatever that means!). Have a look at Agia Efimia, which has all you require, possibly with the exception of boat excursions as it is a bit early in the season although you could hire a boat with outboard and explore small beaches North of the village, and only a couple of easy going walks.

Skala is busier but will have more chance of boat excursions as Captain Vangelis will probably have started, subject to demand. There will be easy going walks along the beaches.

Katelios is also a possibility but maybe too hilly.

Both resorts, and indeed most of the island, suffers from a lack of tourist- friendly public transport so hiring a car would be useful. This will enable you to get around and see the island at its spring best with all the flowers out and the weather not too hot.

Can't comment on Zakynthos

Hope all goes well with the pregnancy and congratulations.

Bob

Littleborough...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cephalonia or Zakynthos?

Thanks Bob, this is really helpful. By authentic, I mean avoiding places that are full of 18-30 or with full english breakfasts advertised everywhere if you know what I mean! I was thinking Skala might be good, particularly for boat trips, I was also looking at Argostoli/Lassi for the same reason. I'll have a look at the other resorts you suggest too and hopefully book something today :-)

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,421 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cephalonia or Zakynthos?

Lassi is more or less a purpose built resort and most (but not all) tavernas and café/bars are along the main road although in May the road is not that busy.

Argostoli is the island capital and will have plenty of facilities all year. Plenty of flat(ish) walks, some around town, and some boat trips from the harbour.

UK
Destination Expert
for Ayia Napa, Puerto Del Carmen, Skala, Cyprus, Protaras
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cephalonia or Zakynthos?

Having been to Zakynthos many, many times..........from as long back as 1990 ! Before we discovered Kefalonia.........I would without doubt recommend Kefalonia. There's far more history to see on Kefalonia and whilst we also like Zakynthos. we think Kefalonia is more like Zakynthos was 20 years ago before mass tourism arrived, which is actually why we love it so much.

We love Skala but this year have decided to split our fortnight with a week there and a week in Lassi to explore more of that side of the island.

Good luck choosing

Cheshire
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cephalonia or Zakynthos?

Having been to both, it has to be Cephalonia if a quieter holiday is what you are looking for as this island does not have a 18 - 30 type of culture found on say Corfu, Rhodes etc.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Cephalonia or Zakynthos?

For me that's a really easy question to answer.

Kefalonia!!!! Without any hesitation!!!

We went to Zakynthos 10 years ago and hated it. The island is nice enough. But I really don't want to be anywhere near a McDonalds while on a Greek Island. All bars with noisy tv with UK gold. Possibly we got the wrong resort. And admittedly the beach was nice. But the next year we discovered Kefalonia. I will never go back to Zakynthos.

Level Contributor
4,068 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cephalonia or Zakynthos?

Hi Emma. Been to both. Kefalonia!!!!!!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,421 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cephalonia or Zakynthos?

Hi again,

Have just noticed that either I forgot to put the link about the trip to Olympia or it disappeared!

www.justkefalonia.co.uk/comments.asp…

Bob

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cephalonia or Zakynthos?

For what you want Emma, it has to be Kefalonia. Admittedly I've only ever been to Zakynthos (Zante) twice, both times on a day cruise, but both times I scurried back to Kefalonia gratefully! One whiff of a McDonalds and I'm off. Kefalonia is a bit like stepping back in time, but with wifi :)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cephalonia or Zakynthos?

That's brilliant Caroline..... 'Kefalonia is a bit like stepping back in time but with wifi.'

LOVE IT!!!