We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greek/Kefalonian Dishes

Huntingdon, United...
12 posts
Save Topic
Greek/Kefalonian Dishes

Can anyone recommend any Greek or local dishes in Kefalonia? We have been visiting the wonderful island of kefalonia on & off since 1998 and would like to try some more authentic cuisine the problem is I don't like CHEESE of any kind, I've tried Kefalonian meat pie and even that I had in Siroco's in Skala (our favourite taverna) had feta in. So I tend to stick to souvlaki or steak but would like to be abit more adventurous, so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,679 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greek/Kefalonian Dishes

Hi Gillyvodka,

Try Beef stifado, rabbit stifado, meatballs, lamb kleftiko (but check with the taverna as the recipe can vary - I don't think any include cheese), stuffed vine leaves (usually a starter but ...), various fish dishes with rice.

Also the recipe for Kefalonia meat pie varies according to taverna. Check with the waiter and chef.

A few ideas

Bob

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
505 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greek/Kefalonian Dishes

Do you eat vegetables? Briam is delicious, oven baked veggies in a tomato sauce. Pasitsio is a type of Greek lasagne, but made with macaroni sized pasta and oven baked, or moussaka, a lamb based layered dish with potato and aubergine and a bechemel sauce on top. Try a "bifteki fresco" (burger in the UK lol) which are homemade and have wonderful spices and herbs in, served with Greek roast potatoes and salad (forget the bun!!) delicious. Why not make your own little meze from the starter menu, just pick two or three dishes and add a salad? That way you can have a taste of various things.

3. Re: Greek/Kefalonian Dishes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Cephalonia