We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My ideal job...

UK
Level Contributor
847 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
My ideal job...

Nearly every time I sit on a beautiful Kefalonian beach I say to my wife that one day I'll jack it all in back in rainy Blighty and become one of the guys who rents out the umbrellas and deck chairs on the beach!

My dream could be just about to come true...but I can't see the auction for the Avithos beach plot... on a bit of a more serious note though, how odd to be having the auctions for this mid season - welcome to Greece! (again!)

inkefalonia.gr/enimerosi/…22505-paralies.html

Edited: 28 May 2014, 22:20
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My ideal job...

Simon,

How do you get that in English? Or is your Greek that good?

Bob

UK
Level Contributor
847 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My ideal job...

My computer just automatically translates the page for me Bob.

I think I only know about ten Greek words after 14 years of visiting Kefalonia!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,897 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My ideal job...

Cheers,

Found out how to translate using Bing

Bob

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My ideal job...

If you use the Google Chrome browser you can set it to automatically translate any Greek web page from Greek to English. It's a bit "Gringlish" in its translations but it's readable.

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My ideal job...

SJL - yes I like the sound of the sunbed attendant job too! Although I'm also confused as to why the auctions for the beach "slots" are only just taking place. Unless these are new "slots" which the government have issued simply to make more money? But the system is, as you say, Greek. Which is why we love Greece so much!

Edited: 29 May 2014, 08:27
Hope Valley, United...
Level Contributor
816 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My ideal job...

I think in retirement, serious consideration will have to be given to living (at least part of the year!) on beautiful Kefalonia. Not brave enough to do it before then.....

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My ideal job...

That's exactly what I'm trying out now Jenny - living this summer mostly in Kefalonia as a test run, and plans to spend some of the winter there too, just to make sure I really do like it when I have to do the usual chores of shopping, cooking, cleaning, washing in Kefalonia rather than being waited on and pampered in a hotel! I'm having to keep popping back to the UK for a few days every now and again because I have an elderly frail Mum in the UK, but other than that, I am at the moment trying out the living in Kefalonia lifestyle. I plan now to rent for a further year or so and then buy a property. I think I'd always keep a small UK apartment as a base, a foothold in the property market in the UK, in case I had to return - but other than that, I am hoping it will be Kefalonia all the way!

I'd like something to do on the island that doesn't involve taking a job from a local Greek person. Doesn't have to be brilliantly paid - sun bed attendant would be fine in season as SJL says above! - but I'd get bored doing nothing. That said, my own piece of land to cultivate, some chickens, a goat or two, and that would be a good way of passing the hours.

Edited: 29 May 2014, 09:08
Level Contributor
3,466 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My ideal job...

Simon how's about wandering the beaches of Lassi issuing ear defenders to innocent sunbathers before Oscar comes along!!!!!!

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My ideal job...

Now there's a useful job! LOL

UK
Level Contributor
847 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My ideal job...

Hi Carolinelaw; I love the idea of what you are doing. We have 'our place' now just outside of Karavados and will gradually over time start to spend more frequent holidays and then more lengthy stays . I still have 15 years till retirement though but I'm planning ahead. I'm in no rush but it is great to have an end goal/dream. I would also love the kids to use the house for free holidays when they get to that stage.

Every day when I'm stuck on some god forsaken motorway (35K+ miles a year) I just wander off into my dream world of walking around in my 3/4 acre - 35 tree olive grove....aaaahhhhhh