We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Reads

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Reads

I spotted a thread on the Greece forum about favourite holiday reads but wondered what recommendations people on here had?

I always try to get something with a Greek angle and have read the usual candidates; Victoria Hislop, the Greek Village series by Sara Alexi and of course Louis de Bernieres. I've also downloaded Package Deal by Tasha Harrison, which looks like being a perfect holiday read as it is set in Cephalonia.

I'd love to know what is everyone else reading?

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
894 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Reads

Stayed in Lassi for the last 2 years, and i would estimate 75% of the woman i saw, were reading 50 shades of Grey.

Lancashire
Destination Expert
for Fiscardo
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Reads

Hi Liz

Just before coming out I downloaded Paul Dillons Magic in the Receiver, set on Cephalonia. I haven't started it yet but it does get good reviews!

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Reads

Thanks fiscardofan. It's now on my wishlist as I might end up reading it before I go if I downloaded now!

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,504 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Reads

Hi folks I Downloaded "The Magic in The Receiver" last year. At first I enjoyed the descriptions of the island but did not find the story particularly gripping. I never finished it but will start it again.

Nothing to do with Cephalonia or even Greece one of my favourite books is "Pillars of The Earth" by Ken Follett.

"Casual Vacancy" by J K Rowling was a good light holiday read

Bob

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
513 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Reads

Agree with Bob about Magic in the Receiver. Thought the ending was very unsatisfactory but as I am sure it wasn't much more than 99p for a Kindle download, I wasn't too upset. It certainly was a light holiday read.

I'll have a look at Package Deal but got a least 12 books downloaded for this trip. The downloads certainly help to keep the weight down compared to 'proper' books!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
248 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday Reads

Never really read any books about Greece apart from The Island by Victoria Hislop. (Really enjoyed it.) So I can't help you.

I don't read much at home but like reading while on holiday. I've got my 2 books for the holiday. Last year I was really jealous of the lady with the kindle as my pages went all over the place through the wind. LOL

cheshire
Level Contributor
143 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday Reads

Just finished Blue skies and black olives by John Humphreys that was quite amusing.

UK
Level Contributor
593 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday Reads

I found magic in the receiver disappointing too . And loved blue skies a nd black olives .

cheshire
Level Contributor
143 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday Reads

Another amusing book is by John Mole called Its all Greek to me.

Cephalonia, Greece
Level Contributor
664 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday Reads

Blue Skies & Black Olives was great fun - I've read that a couple of times now. The Summer of My Greek Taverna is another good read, by Tom Stone. Love all the village series by Sara Alexi, and of course the amazing series of books set on Greek islands by Anne Zouroudi, the Greek detective series based on the seven deadly sins.