We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which area of Cephalonia?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Which area of Cephalonia?

Hi, my boyfriend and I are staying in Cephalonia from June 30-July 7. Which is the best area to stay in? We want somewhere not too busy, close to a town but more importantly close to a beach. We've been looking at Argostili - is this really busy? Other options welcome - I've heard Skala is good?

Thanks!

Edited: 30 May 2014, 16:28
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
160 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which area of Cephalonia?

In my opinion, although I've not yet been but going July-August! Lassi could possibly be your best option. I believe it offers all you require! Others more familiar with the Island will answer soon with their expert opinions

Wales, United...
Level Contributor
454 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which area of Cephalonia?

Beginning of July it won't be too busy anywhere.

If you specify a few more details of what you are looking for I am sure you will get plenty of suggestions here.

However, we are all fanatical about Kefalonia, we are also fanatical about our favourite part of the island!

garedd-m

UK
Level Contributor
907 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which area of Cephalonia?

Hi LornaPaul88, it really depends on whether you are going to hire a car or not?

If you aren't then Lassi is a really good option as you can stay in Lassi with its beautiful beaches and tavernas during the day and some evenings and then head into Argostoli as and when required for its more bustling lively night life.

If you do have a car then you car choose a quieter resort, in my opinion around the Lavithos region south of Argostoli which includes resorts like Lourdas. The beaches in this region are absolutely stunning. Most are sandy or a mixture of sand and small pebbles. Check out this link: http://www.allkefalonia.com/ou-beaches.html

Most resorts in Livathos are around 15 minutes away from Argostoli by car so still an easy trip in.

Others I am sure will recommend other areas of the island. Wherever you end up it will be beautiful and you will have a fab time...SJL

Edited: 30 May 2014, 18:19
Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,476 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which area of Cephalonia?

Hi Lornapaul and welcome,

Have a look at this link.

agnitravel.com/kefalonia_travel_guide/…

Personally I would give Argostoli a miss. Lots of hotels not in the town centre tend to be at the far end of town and there are no buses there.

I am going to upset a few people now but, in my opinion, if going to Skala, which is fine, avoid the hotels like Tesoru Blu which are about a 20 mins walk into Skala centre.

There is nothing wrong with the hotel. But the location is not for me.

Note what SJL says about hiring a car.

Happy planning

Bob

Cheshire
Level Contributor
194 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which area of Cephalonia?

I would not stay in Argostoli it's self but in Lassi a 5 min trip by car or you can walk it about 30min or less depending where you stay. Judging your comment "not too busy, close to a town but more importantly close to a beach" then it has to be Lassi. We have just had a holiday doing just that in Lassi / Argostoli.

wales
Level Contributor
248 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which area of Cephalonia?

skala is a good choice.The only negative if you come first time in kefalonia and you want to visit other areas of the island it's not centrally located like argostoli or lassi.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which area of Cephalonia?

Thank you

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
346 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Which area of Cephalonia?

Stay in Lassi if you love sandy beaches and there are plenty of shops and choice of eateries. The sunsets are stunning. You don't really need a car as you can hail a taxi on the main road and book trips at the many tourist offices both in Argostoli town and on the Lassi strip. The transfer is quick too. I think its personal choice whether you want a bit of isolation and then have to drive or everything on tap albeit slightly busier.

WALES
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which area of Cephalonia?

I would recommend lassi as there are long sandy beaches (they reminded me of the Gold Coast in Australia) you've got plenty of shops, cocktails bars and tavernas. Its also close to argostoli so you're close to the town too. You're also close to the airport so no long transfers. Its perfect for a relaxed break away from it all

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll...
Level Contributor
736 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which area of Cephalonia?

Another suggestion is Lixouri. Has a nice sandy beach just beyond the end of the town. Great places to eat and drink. A lovely square to sit in the evenings and watch life go by. Regular ferry across to Argostoli.

Cheaper than Lassi or Argostoli in general. Not as touristy as Lassi, beaches are not as good however.

Some of the old buildings were damaged in the Earthquake but it still has a lot to offer.

Lassi is probably your best bet though as it is close to Argostoli and its night life, has some wonderful waterside tavernas out on the Faros road, short transfer from the airport and some of the best beaches on the Island.

If you want to experience a smaller local scene, take the ferry across from Argostoli to Lixouri and explore it and have lunch there. Makes a great day out if you do a little research into where to eat.

Get answers to your questions about Cephalonia