We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

walking and driving from Lixouri

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
walking and driving from Lixouri

Hi, we are staying at the Apollionion Xi,end of july, does any one know of any walks we can do from there? we are hiring a car and want explore the island but it will be costly always using the ferry, are the roads all ok to drive round instead? and how long will this take us? also are the roads all on cliffs with big drops!! thank you, june

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,472 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: walking and driving from Lixouri

Hi mianju,

Cannot help with walks from Xi but I would hope the hotel can help. However at end of July it will be HOT.

As far as driving is concerned: Almost all the roads that are open are fine. There are some around Lixouri that suffered in the January earthquake and are single track for short distances. None of these that I encountered at Easter were on "cliff roads with big drops". Yes some of the roads do wind around the mountains with big drops on one side but all the main roads are wide enough for two coaches to pass each other so you should have no problem. Also wherever there is danger, barriers are put along the edge of the road.

Kefalonia is a very easy island to drive around as the roads outside Argostoli (and to a much lesser extent Lixouri) are very quiet. Have a look at this guide to driving on Kefalonia which is written in a light-hearted but efficient way.

http://www.goinggreek.info/driving.html

As far as the ferry is concerned, if you are going to Argostoli, for two people it would probably be better to leave the car in Lixouri and take the ferry - 35 km and 45 minutes by car ; 2.5€ each and 20 minutes by ferry.

Any more questions please feel free to ask.

Bob

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
57 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: walking and driving from Lixouri

Hi there,

There isn't a great deal around the Apollonian to be honest other than another hotel (Cephalonia Palace - where I have stayed and will be doing again from this weekend!), a little restaurant (Antonello's) and the XI beach.

I didn't really find anywhere decent to walk around the hotels as they are quite out of the way and around an hour and half's walk to Lixouri. I'm sure if you go for a bit of a walk you'll find plenty of lovely scenery around the area.

Below is a link to a walk around Lixouri, although the route isn't very detailed.

walkingstories.com/story_full_details.cfm/st…

As for driving, we found it very easy driving from Lixouri to the other side of the island and didn't use the ferry once.

Some of the roads have quite steep drops and are on the side of cliffs but the views are simply stunning and well worth the drives.

We drove from the hotel along the cliffs to Myrtos beach, to Assos, then up to Fiscardo, Down to Sami and then back over the hills to Agostoli where we the drove back around to Lixouri.

The roads were fairly quiet and we just took it steady.

I'm going back to Lixouri on Sunday for two weeks and will explore the area further so will let you know about any decent walks we find.

I hope this helps :)

James.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,472 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: walking and driving from Lixouri

Hi James, and mianju,

Just to note that, unless things have changed over the last few days, the road to Fiskardo is closed just after Myrtos Beach area. There is a well signposted "deviation" via Agia Efimia.

Bob

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
57 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: walking and driving from Lixouri

Thanks Bob, I should've mentioned that really.

I was just trying to point out to June how easy it is to drive from one side of the island to the other from Lixouri and that the cliff side drives aren't anything to worry about but something to enjoy.

:)

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: walking and driving from Lixouri

Thank you very much, we are all (6 of us in total youngest 13) really looking forward to our holiday, and want to explore as much as possible, june

6. Re: walking and driving from Lixouri

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Cephalonia
Recent Conversations