We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New hotel and bar

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
New hotel and bar

Goggle Earth has been updated all over the island, images must have been taken during the off season as everywhere is quiet. Walking around Skala I noticed a building site for new hotel and bar on the coast road going out towards the Regina Dell Acqua Resort. There is a sign for Captain's House Hotel - Bar, does anybody know anyting about this?

UK
Destination Expert
for Ayia Napa, Puerto Del Carmen, Skala, Cyprus, Protaras
Level Contributor
13,972 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New hotel and bar

It's been like that forever.............well the last 3 years anyway ! ....a part finished building stand alone in the brushland. I guess the land was bought and then yet to be financed/finished due to the recession ?! Suspect due to the makeshift sign that it's something to do with the tiny Captains Bar in the centre of Skala, perhaps.

Edited: 18 June 2014, 16:01
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
894 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New hotel and bar

The images of Cephalonia on Google earth were taken at least 6 years ago.

Level Contributor
3,727 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New hotel and bar

Hi skimybear, the google earth images of Lassi have recently been updated & were done within the last year also streetview is available.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
894 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New hotel and bar

I was just looking at the villa we are staying in next week, and it's not even built on google earth and it's been there 6 years.

UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,972 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New hotel and bar

I think thisisthe1 is saying that Google have clearly been back due to Lassi now being on Google streetview etc. as previously it wasn't. They've also partially re-done Skala albeit in the winter because several restaurants that are only 2 years old are on streetview now.

Anyway back to ops original question it's irrelevant because it's still like that...........as per my first post

UK
Level Contributor
879 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New hotel and bar

Karavados has also been updated and now has street view although it is at least 3 years old.

I know from street view back here in the UK of my house that they splice together old and new images. Half of the horse chestnut tree in my front garden has spring green leaves on it and then I go 10 foot down the road and it's golden leaved late autumn - very odd!

Wales
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: New hotel and bar

It tells you the imagery date on both Google maps and street view,these are oten not the same,for instance,Lassi street view is Dec.2011 but the map date is March 2013

Wales
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: New hotel and bar

Oops..the above should read April 2013

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
130 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New hotel and bar

Thank you for pointing this out Miss_Chief1, got confused by the lorries at the side. Been to Skala loads of times but never noticed that buiding. Anyway, it is still nice to walk around the island on street view irrespective of when the images were taken.

UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,972 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New hotel and bar

Agreed re streetview..............it sets you up nicely for an impending holiday and also keeps you going through the dark winter nights at home ! I prefer the Just Kefalonia version of streetview though as it was taken in the summer :)