We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water and tipping

5 posts
Save Topic
Water and tipping

What is your advice about drinking water on the island (and that served by restaurants)?

What is the advice re - tipping.

Thanks off on our first trip to the island this week

Level Contributor
4,142 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water and tipping

Hi Gill, bottled water(cheap) is best wouldn't recommend tap other than brushing teeth. Restaurants, those in Lassi, supply bottled water to the table. Tipping the same as usual 10% or if service xcellent a bit more

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,475 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water and tipping

Hi Gill,

The cold water from the tap is perfectly safe to drink. It meets all EU standards. It does however have different trace chemicals to what you are possibly used to. When I have taken young people from Suffolk to Wales or Yorkshire Dales they have sometimes had upset stomachs for a day or so, or said they don't like the taste!

Bottled water on the island is cheap and comes in six 1.5 litre (or is it 2litre?) bottles shrink wrapped. Also in smaller bottles.

It is dearer in tavernas and it comes in a sealed bottle to your table. Don't know where the ice comes from but never had a problem!

In tavernas and café/bars we usually tip 10+% after a meal, or a euro or so after a few drinks. Providing of course we have enjoyed the meal.

Incidentally we try not to use credit cards, or even debit cards as cash means the taverna owner does not have to pay the % to the card companies. When meals for two including drinks are around 30-35€ there is not a lot of profit to give some to MasterCard, American Express etc.

Hope this helps

Bob

5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Water and tipping

Thanks Bob - very useful ...as we have the 'best' water up here in Sheffield..may go for bottled!

Can I say how useful and helpful your postings on this board are - I couldn't remember my Trip Advisor password from work in lunch break hence I look like a newbie! In all the years I have used and posted on TA your speedy and useful posts take some beating.

5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Water and tipping

Incidentally we are staying in Fiskardo, Agia Efimia and Spartia and have a hire car - from which of these latter 2 would make more sense to 'do' the western side around the capital and beyond and the south-east corner?

We don't like commercial resorts so plan to avoid those as much as possible.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,475 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water and tipping

For Exploring the South from about Argostoli South and as far East as Skala I would base in Spartia out of the two you mention. For exploring everything else as far South as the Argostoli/Sami road and the summit of Mt. Ainos as well as St Gerasimo's Monastery, I would use Agia Efimia.

I also love the drive from Agia Efimia - Sami - Skala

For the Paliki Peninsula (often called The Lixouri Peninsula) it is really 50:50. Spartia if using the ferry, Agia Efimia if driving round.

Hope this helps

Bob

5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Water and tipping

Great thanks

bristol
Level Contributor
756 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water and tipping

I have just returned from Agia Efimia and asked about the water as we have never used tap water. It is safe but as Bob says different chemicals to what we are used to. Probably fine if boiled. Bottled water is so cheap and I am sure used for ice in bars. We have never ever had a problem

Level Contributor
4,142 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water and tipping

Hi Bob, the reason I put the caution about tap water is that some hotels & appartments do not use mains cold water but tank fed which can lead to problems.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,475 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water and tipping

No problem,

I was just going on my experiences and also I started my ling winded answer before you started yours and I didn't see it before I pressed "Post your reply"

Bob

5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Water and tipping

Thanks all

Get answers to your questions about Cephalonia