We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Post office travel money card

Nottingham, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Post office travel money card

Do the restaurants in katelois take post office money cards

UK
Level Contributor
959 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Post office travel money card

They take Visa and MasterCard. I have never seen anyone pay with one of these.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
11,273 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Post office travel money card

Hi Lisa,

Check with the Post Office. I think their card is a pre-loaded debit card provided by either Visa or MasterCard. If so you should be fine at any taverna that takes cards. Some smaller ones may not take any cards. All prefer cash as it means they do not have to pay the % charged by the card companies.

Bob

Nottingham, United...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Post office travel money card

Thank you got your replies

UK
Destination Expert
for Ayia Napa, Puerto Del Carmen, Skala, Cyprus, Protaras
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Post office travel money card

Check this out for the best pre-paid travel cards, moneysavingexpert.com/travel/…prepaid the post office doesn't even make the top 10, look at the top 3 on this list, much better rates

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
11,273 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Post office travel money card

Currently Ukash are giving 1242€ for £1000. The Post Office only 1213€ and they charge for using an ATM.

UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Post office travel money card

Exactly ! So the PO is definitely not the best option. Ukash are fairly new to this market but the Caxton card and Fairfax ranked at No.2 & 3 respectively are longstanding companies and very popular across the TA forums for being recommended. We've had a Caxton card for several years with no issues.

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Post office travel money card

Hi Lisa

Sorry to hi-Jack your question but what happens at the end of your holiday if you have money still left on the card? Can you transfer it back into your bank account or is it a case of sitting there until your next holiday?

Sorry if this is a silly question

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
4,128 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Post office travel money card

I've always found that most places don't like cards of any description, if they accept them invariably "the machine is broken" or the "phone line isn't working". You'll have no problems using the card in the atm's so just withdraw cash & pay bars & restaurants etc with cash. Cash is king in Greece.

P.S. When you make a withdrawal at the atm if you get the option to withdraw "with conversion" or "without conversion" always select "without conversion". You'll get a message saying the exchange rate can't be gauranteed but if you allow the atm provider to do the conversion you'll end up paying more when it gets to your card provider. I've never used these preloaded card as I just use my debit card but the Post Office is about the worst place to change sterling for euros so I'd think the rate on their card wouldn't be the best.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Post office travel money card