We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarkets on the way to Marcopolou

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Supermarkets on the way to Marcopolou

Hi Travelbob or Miss-Chief or anyone who has information:

One last question before we leave on Monday for Cephanlonia. We will need to stock up on food supplies when we land on the way to Marcopolou, any help where to stop on the way would be greatly appreciated. I do have a sat nav but not sure if it will be of any use on the Island.

Haydn

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
462 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supermarkets on the way to Marcopolou

Hi, how many are there in your party and are you staying in a villa or a basic self catering apartment ?

There are a couple of small mini markets in Katelios, so all depends on your needs.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supermarkets on the way to Marcopolou

Hi there, Just the two of us in a villa in Marcopolou. We land around midday Greek time so will need to shop for stocking up and of course dinner that evening. Regards Haydn

UK
Destination Expert
for Ayia Napa, Puerto Del Carmen, Skala, Cyprus, Protaras
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Supermarkets on the way to Marcopolou

Hi again Haydn...............if you look at the top right of this page..............under Top Questions. I put a thread on which large supermarkets you can shop at before leaving Argostoli after arriving. There's a good choice and all fairly close together and on the road out of Argostoli. Lidl, AB, Marinopoulos and Carrefour. Worth a big shop and then use the local smaller stores near your destination to top up.

They're very easy to find and directions etc. from the airport in the thread above :)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supermarkets on the way to Marcopolou

Hi Miss Chief I cannot open the thread you have put at the top for some reason. I can open the one underneath that shows the supermarkets around Argostoli regarding nappies etc and chemist but try as I might I cannot open your thread. I am sure this is just a ploy for us to put you in our suitcase so you can show us personally on arrival.

Regards Haydn

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
10,883 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Supermarkets on the way to Marcopolou

Hi Hayden,

There are two basic ways to get to Markopoulo. One takes you through minor roads and you arrive at Peratata. From there take the main road towards Argostoli and around the first roundabout are the supermarkets.

The way I prefer for first timers is as below.

Follow the road uphill out of the airport (past the petrol station if you need it). Turn left at the T junction towards Lassi and Argostoli. Follow this road past the White Rocks Hotel and through Lassi. At the end of this resort the road curves gently uphill. At the crest of the hill there are two right turns. The first is very sharp; the second, which you need, is a newish road in front of the Avin petrol station. Follow this road for just under 1.5km to a T junction where you turn left and follow the road to the end where there is a triangular patch of grass. Fork right here and turn on to the main road. After about 1km there is a roundabout. Take the first exit from this roundabout (i.e. Go straight ahead!) You are now on the only bit of dual carriageway on the island. Go over the next roundabout (last year both the side exits went nowhere!) At the next roundabout are the three supermarkets mentioned by Miss_Chief.

As far as sat navs are concerned I take mine for two reasons.

(1) I set it to "show map". It is then very useful to see sharp bends coming up especially when driving after dark.

(2) It saves trying to hide it in the car which is parked at the airport in England!

I tried using it (a Garmin) to find directions but there were lots of names it did not recognise.

Have a great holiday

Bob

UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Supermarkets on the way to Marcopolou

Hi Haydn...............I like it !! It's not a bad idea actually, perhaps you'd like to be the first to pay me to come and act as guide for your 3 weeks..............I'm cheap, just food and water !!! LOL

Try this tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g664630-i12150-k…

Edited: 19 August 2014, 16:29
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Supermarkets on the way to Marcopolou

Thank you so much for the link have now managed to download it. I have looked at the space in our suitcase and unless you worked as a contortionist in a circus we just do not have the space for you on this occasion, although we are most impressed how little you cost to look after. It has been fantastic and a great kindness the information you have kindly passed onto us and we are confident our holiday will be that more special because of your help. Will repost when or if we come home

Best Regards Haydn

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Supermarkets on the way to Marcopolou

Thanks for the information travelbob. we are almost packed and ready to go and are pleased with your help and advice we will now not starve. With yours and Miss Cheifs information we are sure we are going to enjoy our holiday immensely and will repost should we decide to return home

Best Regards Haydn

UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Supermarkets on the way to Marcopolou

Ahhhh I wish you the most wonderful holiday Haydn............and you WILL fall in love with Kefalonia of that I'm sure. Be great to hear how you got on when you get back. Enjoy yourselves...........I'm just away to practice folding myself into the tumble dryer, all in the name of practice for my stint at Billy Smarts this winter and your suitcase next year ..... LOL !

Edited: 19 August 2014, 23:58
10. Re: Supermarkets on the way to Marcopolou

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 05:15