We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

corfu, quiet, traditional resort?

South Africa.
3 posts
Save Topic
corfu, quiet, traditional resort?

We are in our 50's love the traditional Greece. can any one recommend a quiet resort, with small pretty beaches/coves. We hate crowds, fish & chips, hamburgers. Love Greek food, people, warm sea, pretty scenery. Can you also suggest good places to stay s/c?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: corfu, quiet, traditional resort?

Hi,

There's a nice quiet traditional Greek resort called Arillas. It has a nice beach and is quiet. There is a good website called www.arillas.com which has info on the resort and you can book accom and get prices on it. I've seen a lady who has posted info to other people on this forum who seems to know loads about Arillas but I can't remember her name. Hopefully she'll reply to this and tell you a bit more about it. Kassiopi is also nice but bigger and has a shingle beach. There's a bus that connects the northern resorts where it is - though it's a bit hit and miss. There's also another nice quiet resort near Kassiopi called Kalami that you might like but again it's a shingle beach but very pretty with only a handful of tavernas

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Corfu
Level Contributor
888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: corfu, quiet, traditional resort?

Hi Greek Expert, it's me.

I'm sorry I did not post earlier but I think perhaps I might get on folks nerves posting so much about Arillas!

So since you invited me on board I'm going to post!

I will take the easy way out and re-post a message I wrote earlier:

Arillas is renowned for its beauty, friendliness and honesty of its villagers. Located on the North West coast of Corfu, this lesser known part of the island has rugged and exciting scenery with spectacular sunsets.

There is a bit of a contradiction about Arillas. On one hand some describe it as a village, yet on the other hand some may say it is a resort. Perhaps the two meet somewhere in between and Arillas is best described as a small laid back resort.

For over 11 years Arillas beach has been awarded the much coveted 'Blue Flag' awarded by the EEC ensuring the highest quality in water, facilities, safety etc. Gently shelving it is ideal for children, sun beds and parasols are available for hire, whilst water sports await the more energetic. Out of the way at the furthest end of the beach under a cliff there is a naturist section which although not 'legal' it is tolerated by the locals. It's fun to cover your body with the soft clay, lie back and relax allowing it dry in the sun, then rinsing off in the sea...a spa treatment for free! Lining the seafront you will find a variety of tavernas...an ideal location for people watching and cooling off after a long day on the beach!

Evenings are centered around the many tavernas and restaurants, a surprising number for a place of this size. All of which are locally owned ensuring a warm and sincere welcome. Catering for all budgets, from snack bar to upmarket they all have one thing in common....they all serve traditional homemade Corfiot cuisine. An unforgettable setting for dinner is in a seafront restaurant where you can watch the sun going down over the sea behind the Diapontia islands of Erikousa, Mathraki and Othoni.

Low key entertainment is provided by two Greek bars which stay open until the small hours.

There are plenty of walks in and around Arillas, the cliff path over to neighboring San Stephanos is a favourite for visitors. Arillas is not just a holiday destination it is a living village which gives it 'soul'. On your walks around Arillas you will see small holdings with animals, allotments growing vegetables which inevitably end up in your evening meal and fruit trees laden with the fruits of the season.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Corfu
Level Contributor
888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: corfu, quiet, traditional resort?

Eating in Arillas!

Arillas has lots of very good tavernas catering for every budget. All owned by locals ensuring a warm welcome, good service and traditional Greek food. There are a couple of bars sitting adjacent to each other which helps to confine the noise from their music, but basically in Arillas the emphasis is towards a low key nightlife. Parents can enjoy an after dinner drink safe in the knowledge that their older children can have some independence in creating their own entertainment in safe surroundings.

Behind the seafront:

• Tria Adelphia: Not far from the villa the Tria Adelphia is ideal if you don’t want to wander far. Phil and Helen are the very friendly hosts. Phil works the bar whilst Helen is in the kitchen, their young son Yiannis is often to be seen lending a hand serving at the tables. Helen makes a superb stifado and on Sunday evenings Phil’s father cooks a roast lamb on the spit.

• Captains Grill Room: Captains is fairly new and has become very popular due to its friendly family and good prices.

• The Rainbow: Family hotel/bar run by brothers Spiros & Jimmy. Everyone is welcome to use the facilities, sat.tv, pool table, childrens playground. The Rainbow has a traditional and international menu. Quiz night is fun!

• Brouklis: Traditional dining at it’s best. Dimitris is an excellent host, a lovely lovely young man who works hard for the benefit of Arillas and it’s visitors. Highly recommended.

• Armourada: The Konstantis family (also owners of Vassillis supermarket opp) serve traditional food and invite you to their Greek night!

• Stekis: A very inexpensive grill room and snack bar. It’s a no frills/no nonsense type place, but actually quite good. Stekis serve delicious and filling Gyros as ‘cheap as chips’! Handy for a snack after a long hard day on the beach. 

• Malibu Bar: Giorgios is the host in this lively bar. Happy hours, karaoke, dancing, sat tv, and new feature films. A games room with pool, football table and video games is very popular with older children.

• Coconut Bar: Owned by brothers Perry and Costa. Perry looks after the bar, he’s an excellent host. Costa takes care of the music. Early on in the evening it’s oldie/mixed music, then it changes pace to cater for the younger ones and the locals who arrive after midnight. Hannah is Costas lovely wife who serves the tables and looks after the customers.

On the Seafront:

Marina Hotel: A good location for eating and people watching! Meals are reasonable and well priced. Their Greek night is good fun! After picking up your newspaper in Alex’s next door it is ideal to sit outside the Marina to read, drink coffee and chill out…not forgetting the people watching of course!

• Helens Creperie: Our favourite place for breakfast, afternoon snacks and drinks. The business is run by the very friendly and helpfull George. Helen's is open all day till the early hours of the morning, serving ice creams, lunch or snacks. The menu offers a good selection ranging from omelettes, sandwiches, sweet and savoury crepes, burgers, pasta's and fantastic cakes. Also handy for a late night snack or last drink before heading home.

• Ammos: A rather cool and sophisticated snack and cocktail bar. With it’s low music and candles it’s my favourite place to go while trying to decide which restaurant to dine in.

• Porto Fino: Run by ‘chalk and cheese’ father and son Spiro and Yianni the Porto Fino is a great all rounder. Good food, good prices and excellent hosts who both work hard to make sure that you enjoy your visit.

• Eftihia: A traditional taverna on the seafront. You will have heard of GMT, Greek Maybe Time, well this lovely family have somehow managed to put time into an even lower gear. A lovely place to chill out with mezes and retsina, to read a book or watch the fun on the beach.

• Costas on the Beach: One of the best restaurants in Arillas, serving Greek and Mediterranean food. The best place to sit is at the front so that you can watch the sunset and soak up the atmosphere in this romantic Greek setting.

• Thalassa: Owned by Litsa and Yiannis Thallassa is another upmarket restaurant. Service can be a bit on the GMT but that gives you an excuse to linger longer.

• Horizon Hotel: Friendly staff, good food and lovely setting make this yet another highly place to eat. The Horizon has a separate bar area and lounge area for drinks and snacks.

• Graziella: Owned by three brothers who are all fishermen this restaurant offers well priced ‘set’ menus. Yiannis the lovely waiter will give you a warm and hearty welcome.

• Sea-Breeze: Owned and run by Thomas and his son Yiannis Bardis this is a very popular restaurant with a well priced menu selling adequate food.

(Over the road from their main restaurant both Graziella and Sea-Breeze have dining terraces where you can eat and watch the amazing sunsets.)

• Vavillas: Turn around the corner at Sea Breeze head away from the beach and you will find this much praised fish taverna owned by Thomas.

Manchester
Level Contributor
3,150 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: corfu, quiet, traditional resort?

What about Kassiopi it has scenery and a nice harbour/marina.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: corfu, quiet, traditional resort?

Hi,

Thanks for replying Arillas. I knew that you knew much more about Arillas than me but couldn't remember what you cal yourself. Fairly obvious name though really. Well if Views4me doesn't go you've sold it to me sounds fantastic. Next time we go back to Corfu think that's where we'll look at. Thanks

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Corfu
Level Contributor
888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: corfu, quiet, traditional resort?

Glad to have been of assistance Greek Expert!

Should you decide to visit pm me for a list of accommodation let out privately by locals.

Keep an eye open later on in the year for Easyjet's release of their Gatwick-Corfu prices for 2009.

Arillas.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: corfu, quiet, traditional resort?

Hi,

Thanks Arillas will contact you if we decide to give Arillas a go. All sorted for this year - back to Kefalonia again

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Corfu
Level Contributor
888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: corfu, quiet, traditional resort?

We have not been to Kefalonia yet...but we have heard so much about it so it's on our list. So many places, so little time...not enough holidays and not enough cash!

Arillas.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,009 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: corfu, quiet, traditional resort?

Hi Arillas,

Well if I can ever help on advice on Kefalonia you can contact me

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Corfu
Level Contributor
888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: corfu, quiet, traditional resort?

Will do. Thank you.