We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming pool use...have I got this right?

Cornwall UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Swimming pool use...have I got this right?

We are staying at a "small and friendly" hotel in August.

Doing a little investigating it would appear that anyone not staying at the hotel can use the (not very large) pool also, - bit like a public pool I think.

Is this correct and general policy in Corfu? Can't bear having to fight for sunbeds with people staying at the same hotel, let alone joe public getting his towel on a bed early!!

As husband is disabled I don't relish the thought of having to go elsewhere to find somewhere to sunbathe!

Any thoughts/info please?

Manchester,
Level Contributor
1,246 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming pool use...have I got this right?

Hi

It's around 5 years since I last visited Corfu - but this was certainly the case when we were there. We were staying in San Stefanos and the hotels/accom with pools all "encouraged" the public. I think there is money to be made by selling more drinks/snacks etc.

We never found it to be a problem.

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming pool use...have I got this right?

Yes, this is the case. It doesn't necessarily mean that you won't be able to sit around your own pool though. You, too will be able to visit other pools, so it works both ways. We didn't have an issue with it last year and some very small accommodation premises have quite large pools, more than their capacity for accommodation. It is a way of making some extra money - you are expected to buy drinks, snacks or lunch etc should you visit a pool.

Helmsley, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming pool use...have I got this right?

Where are you staying, its never been a problem to us and the pool staff will be aware who is the guest and who the visitor, dont worry Ive never seen the towel on the bed issue in Corfu,at least not to the extent as you see it else where.

The small and friendly tag is just that.Small and friendly, you will have a great time.

Sidari
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming pool use...have I got this right?

Hi there, we have just been for a swim in the Christina pool At Sidari

40 sunbeds 6 people there , most complexes are half empty during the day , when people out and about,touring, boat trips etc

you will have a great time

Cornwall UK
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming pool use...have I got this right?

Thanks all - you have put my mind at ease! We're at the Nafsika in San Stefanos but have hired a car through Noula at San Stefanos Travel who has been v helpful so may venture to a pool further afield to try the system!

Do you literally just walk in and help yourself to a sunbed anywhere? Seems really weird but as they say, "when in Corfu" etc.

Thanks again

Helen

Helmsley, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming pool use...have I got this right?

There is an expectation that you buy at least one drink, its only good manners after all, but yes it is pretty relaxed.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swimming pool use...have I got this right?

hi.

it is not unusual in greece for hotels with pools to permit the entrance to non-guests by paying usually a ticket.

8. Re: Swimming pool use...have I got this right?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2010, 05:17