We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diapontia Islands - any experience?

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Diapontia Islands - any experience?

We'll be staying in Corfu Town in early July, and I'm curious about visiting one of the Diapontia islands, sometime between July 5-12 but we can be flexible on the exact day.

Which of these islands is the most interesting / beautiful / accessible? Are they really hard to get to? Is it possible to do a day trip or would we have to stay overnight? (In which case we'd have to scrap the idea.)

I have a guidebook but I fear it may be outdated. It says that there is a twice weekly ferry from Corfu Town and a daily connection with Agios Stefanos but would that be sufficient to allow for a day trip? Are there any organized boat trips like from Sidari? Based on their descriptions in my guidebook I think I'd be most interested in Othoni, but I'm also curious about Ereikoussa and Mathraki. Ereikoussa seems to be the most touristic of the three?

Slough,Berks
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diapontia Islands - any experience?

Hi there,last year my family and I did a day trip to Erikousa island from the jetty in Sidari.We had a lovely day there.....We booked the trip at a local travel agency called Vlaseros which has 2 shops in Sidari.The trip goes on a Wed,Sat and Sun from 10am - 4pm.The beach is nice with sunbeds and umbrellas for hire.There is one hotel where we had a snack,but there are also a couple of tavernas to visit aswell and a shop.You can visit the helicopter base by following the road from the harbour and there are old windmills and a traditional olive press.We found it really relaxing and very chilled out compared to the liveliness in Sidari (which we luv by the way).Have no idea about visiting the other 2 islands or even if there are trips to them.I would be quite interested in visiting them also,as I think they are even quieter than Erikousa.The trip on boat takes about 40 mins each way and you get to see the rock formations of Canal d'amour.Hope this helps and enjoy your hol.We also visited a lovely village in Corfu last year called Afionas high above the sea,beautiful Corfiot village with wonderful views out to sea with the 3 islands close by.Almost forgot the cost of our trip to Erikousa was 15 euros each,but may well have gone up this year.....

Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diapontia Islands - any experience?

That is super helpful! Thank you so much for your reply!!

Slough,Berks
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diapontia Islands - any experience?

No probs.....if you do decide to travel to Sidari and book trip,one of the Vlaseros travel offices is located in the main strip opp the 3 Brothers Hotel and the other one is further on,going towards the Canal d'amour area.Get to 3 Pigs restaurant,turn right and it's on left hand side,but as said loads of agencies in town that do trip also.We just stick to this one cos been using it for years.Have a g8t day out,if you do go,lovely to see another side to Corfu and how it must have been many years ago.......

Roda, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Roda
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diapontia Islands - any experience?

Hi Xaroula - whichever you decide on, can I come with you? I know a little about the islands but, like many others, I have only visited Erikoussa. I have photos if you want me to dig them out. I guess the word 'touristy' is a relative term. By no means could this beautiful island be called that. My memory is of deserted tracks, old stone buildings, endless wild flowers, butterflies in the hundreds and, above all - silence! Our boat was due to leave at 4 pm and everyone was on board when we arrived at 3:59, wondering why we were so late. Clearly there was not enough for them to do, but we could have stayed for days.

I know little of Mathraki, other than it is hilly. Othoni must have once been quite a place and it is my belief that as many as fifty Greek/American families once lived there and still have houses on the island. Conditions must have been tough and many of them emigrated some 30/40 years ago. Of course, the famous Greek philanthropy plays a part here and lots have now returned. The general clinic in Corfu Town was founded by the Mastoras family - from Othoni. The Katechis family is now very much entrenched in the Roda/Acharavi area and owns apartments such as Venus, Bostonia Villas, Eleni Apartments and Theodoros. Theo's father is actually the current serving mayor of Othoni - maybe contacting Theo would be a good place to start your decision-making process.

Whichever you decide on, I would love to read a review of your visit.

Steve

Edited: 09 May 2011, 20:00
Komotini, Greece
Level Contributor
2,849 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diapontia Islands - any experience?

Hi Steve, thanks for that very informative post!!

I probably should have said in my OP that this trip would be part of a week-long "get to know Corfu trip" that my husband and I are planning for our Corfu wedding guests (a wedding that keeps getting put off, we actually got married in April '10!). We have a different "activity" for each day of the week and then the week ends with our wedding. So this was one of our "day-trip" ideas. It looks really tempting because I love the idea of seeing how Corfu must have been 100 years ago (or even 30 years ago). It also seems really reasonably priced as it would just be the cost of a bus to/from Sidari and then the tickets over and back, and I think people would be willing to cough up for that.

If we go I will certainly post a trip report although it may be mostly dumb stories about wedding guests falling out of the boat....

6. Re: Diapontia Islands - any experience?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2012, 22:17