We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Corfu and the Economic Troubles

Dorking
Level Contributor
112 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Corfu and the Economic Troubles

Hi All - just wondering if there is anyone else out there worried by all that is going on currently ?

I'm not especially worried by the demise of the Euro - if it happens then it happens, but until it does I can only see it being of advantage to us tourist. I'm just wondering at stuff like industial action - will the airports go on strike.... will they be able to get fuel into the airport....

I can think of a whole list of possible problems - but do you thing I an getting concerned unnecessarily ?

The Petrakis Line
Sightseeing Tours
Britannia Cruises - Corfu Cruises
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Blue Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
2,392 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Corfu and the Economic Troubles

Yes you are worrying too much, relax, chill and enjoy your holiday to Corfu. There have been ATC strikes in the past, not many, and everyone stills gets there and back.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sidari
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Corfu and the Economic Troubles

Well, I'm not concerned.....as I have said before, for Corfu it will be business as usual. Don't worry so much.

If they couldn't get fuel to the airport, I would be saying Yaaay!! a longer stay in Corfu!!! but I can't see it happening...... Fi

Rhodes, Greece
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Corfu and the Economic Troubles

I've lived in Greece for years now and the strikes are regular as clockwork, always have been, they've never really affected me or anyone I know. Life on the islands is in many ways a world away from life in Athens.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Filippiáda...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Corfu and the Economic Troubles

You should not be worried at all! We are not that idiot to go on strikes every single day!

I live close to Corfu, previous weekend i was there for business.

So come and enjoy your stay!

Edited: 17 May 2012, 19:58
Dorking
Level Contributor
112 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Corfu and the Economic Troubles

Ok - so I'll worry no more, just look forward to 2 weeks of sun, and greek hospitality.

What's the worse case scenario... the island runs out of food, ok so we'll live on olives and drink wine... and if there's trouble with the return flight, ok I'll enjoy and extended day or two.

Thanks for the input peeps.

Rhodes, Greece
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Corfu and the Economic Troubles

That's the spirit Figgy, enjoy yourselves and to hell with all the if's but's and maybe's :)

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,334 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Corfu and the Economic Troubles

I personally feel the increase of the " All inclusive" is more of a threat. Lovely local restaurants suffering as tour companies (like first choice) changing to AI. One if the main pleasures of a holiday in Greece for us I'd wandering around on the evening looking for a fab taverna, buying local crafts etc from the shops. These AI hotels set doing nothing to support small businesses.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Dorking
Level Contributor
112 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Corfu and the Economic Troubles

Couldn't agree more - have never done an AI on land (have cruised a number of times though). I don't even like to go half board, since like you, I enjoy wandering around finding a local eaterie and enjoying a drink or two watching the surroundings. That IS my evening entertainment.

What is the point of staying put in one place eating the same stuff, being served by the same waiters (if you are lucky) and see the same people night after night.... but then you quite often find the AI resorts are located some distance away from the main tourist resort... and best place for them too !

Yep - I will gladly spend my money (what ever currency it ends up being) helping the little independant tavernas. I'm sure they need all the help they can get to survive right now.

Sidari, Greece
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Corfu and the Economic Troubles

Yes you are worrying too much from whats happening. Corfu is business as usual aswell as no problems from what ive heard. Whats happening in Athens is nothing like whats happening on the outskirting islands of Greece such as Corfu!

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Corfu and the Economic Troubles

is it more expensive now because of all the issues? Just looking to book shortly and cant afford to go somewhere where they are charging 4 euro a pint?