We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Begging

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Begging

Just back from Corfu and one noticeable thing that I have never experienced in Greece before was begging on the streets. Not loads of it but a number of times in Corfu town and at the supermarket. The latter was a really persistent youth asking for a euro who was there with an adult male who was observing. I was tempted to let him have the trolley euro until I saw the adult with him. I guess it must be a sign of the times with the economy shrinking by 7%, but wondered if other people had noticed it.

Sidari
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Begging

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16472310

Doctors, nurses not been paid for months.the islands are suffering,no dole here, I witness real poverty in the villages, people really fearful of surviving the winter, some hotel workers here refused to start work this season , because they had not been paid for last seasons work yet //// most of these lovely corfiot people , work two or more jobs, in the season , dig their fields , plant veg to eat in the winter, tend their animals, goats, sheep, make cheese, etc

smile for the tourists , bless them

limbless ex sevicemen, sit and beg in places in corfu town // no money now for medicines, prosthetics ect, so sad .....

oxford
Level Contributor
79 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Begging

there have always been beggars, but agree they are more prominent, and in some cases more organised, now. A whole family seems to live off standing outside Lidl and M and S!

Some are Corfiots, but not all, there is a large travelling community and also a lot of people trying to get on a boat to Italy- although they tend to wash windscreens rather than waiting for a handout!

united kingdom
Level Contributor
192 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Begging

Local travelling families some sell corn on the cob at the road side etc wherever the brits are about - but not persistent. Others a lot poorer and more unscrupulous just have to be street wise. It happened to us in Rhodes last year bit unnerving. As moonpig states the Corfiots are lovely people I feel for them. We are very lucky to live in the UK and we shouldn't be moaning

4. Re: Begging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 01:17