We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

April Flowers.

Norfolk
Level Contributor
221 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
April Flowers.

We have booked a week in Corfu Town (Kanoni) from 22nd April. Where should we go to see the best displays of wild flowers? Likely to be bussing and walking rather than car hire.

Roda, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Roda
Level Contributor
3,277 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: April Flowers.

One thing you must do for sure, Mick, is go to the British Cemetery to see if there are any orchids still flowering .. it's not too far from Kanoni. Many of our spring flowers here have already started and the fields of narcissi began showing off soon after Christmas. There will be a steady succession of different flowers now, all rushing to finish their business before the heat of summer.

It's difficult to say where to look, other than take the easiest route out of town and get into the countryside. I would guess that any of the well-known walks will present you with lots to see, my knowledge being mostly about the area around Roda where there is an abundance of varieties.

I seem to remember there is a 'Benitses Trail' that Friends of the Ionian used to promote and that would be easy to get to from where you are. Their website seems to be down, but there is a contact facility on http://www.foi.org.uk/. Maybe they can give you other ideas.

Steve

UK
Level Contributor
438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: April Flowers.

I am hoping the island will still be in bloom in May? When we were there last October I was amazed by all the cyclamen growing wild and in full bloom then.

Roda, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Roda
Level Contributor
3,277 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: April Flowers.

There will still be flowers in May, but you may need to go further afield - away from tourist areas, more into the shade and higher up the hills. As the hot weather approaches, they scramble for prominence and you will see many different plants competing for the same piece of ground. Also, a lot of ground is strimmed and cleared for May 1st when the first package tourists arrive. I have often thought how much the first visitors miss the real beauty - often by just a day.

If you really want to see the flowers, then March and April is the best time. During those months a few years ago, I photographed over 80 different species in the lanes around Roda. Already we have endless narcissi, celandines and cranesbill, and this morning, a beautiful mimosa trees had painted a bright swathe of yellow across a grey and rainy Acharavi. Soon it will be the turn of wild honesty and sage stronger than any you have ever smelt ... and the ever present asphodels.

Steve

Edited: 07 February 2013, 12:12
UK
Level Contributor
438 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: April Flowers.

Steve, you paint a beautifully romantic picture with your words! You clearly love your surroundings. Shame I can't move my birthday up a bit !!!

Anyway, I'll be looking forward to the delicate aroma of the mint in my Pimms !! LOL!

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,354 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: April Flowers.

A wonderful place for wild flowers in late April to early May is the village of Old Perithia which is up in the hills behind Kassiopi in the north east. We have seen some absolutely beautiful displays of wild flowers there, too many species to count as well as lovely yellow broom in blossom on the hillsides.Also known as Ano Perithia or Palea Perithia, it used to be entirely a picturesque ruin but many of the old houses are now being restored. There are two or three very good tavernas so you can take a walk around the village and it's surrounds, then have a very good lunch.

Norfolk
Level Contributor
221 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: April Flowers.

Thanks for the advice. Cemetery and Old Perithia are now on our list. Hope we can get to the latter by bus. Coincidently, have just seen a Rick Stein programme in which he visited there and it looked very attractive.

Mick

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,354 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: April Flowers.

I rather doubt if buses go up there but assuming not, you could get a bus to Kassiopi and then get a taxi, arranging for the driver to pick you up again later.

Roda, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Roda
Level Contributor
3,277 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: April Flowers.

Old Perithia may be the best place to go in May as the flowers will be a little later there. You can get a bus to the lower village on the main north coast road, but it's a fair hike up to the old village. If you are serious walkers, then do it - you will be rewarded for your efforts. There will be lots of the ubiquitous wild mountain sage, rock rose in white and pink, vivid campanulas and the statuesque verbascum, depending on dates ... and much more.

Steve

9. Re: April Flowers.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2014, 05:15