We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise ship visit - What to do??

Kaitaia
9 posts
Save Topic
Cruise ship visit - What to do??

We visit corfu port on 17/ June 2013 from 8am til 3.30pm (not long I know). We are unsure of what to do. Should be book a shore excursion on the boat, or is it better to hire a car or get a taxi? Are there hire/drivers like at Olympia? Cost is a consideration, as there are 4 of us paying per person on a ship excursion is quite pricey. (But at least we wouldn't get lost or miss the boat). Thanks for any advice.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,838 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise ship visit - What to do??

Spend your time walking and exploring Corfu town, it is a delightful place. You can catch the local bus, which stops next to the cruise ships, cost a couple of euros, or walk into the town, takes about 20 minutes.

once in the town you can go on the little road train, which gives you a commentary about the town, wander the maze of roads in the old town, browsing at the shops. There are also many places of interest to visit, have a look at the Corfu information guides for more ideas

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sidari
Level Contributor
3,542 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise ship visit - What to do??

Hi Kim...and Welcome to the Corfu Forum.....

I agree with DebsLpool....You have a fairly limited time on the island so walking around Corfu Old Town is quite lovely, then find a taverna, sit outside and watch the world go by with an ouzo or two!!

Have a lovely visit to the beautiful island of Corfu!

Kaitaia
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise ship visit - What to do??

Thankyou both for your advice. I was hoping to hire a car and drive over to Paleokastritsa to do a bit of site seeing, according to google its about a half hour drive, but unsure what the roads are like. Has anyone out there done that? Maybe we will have to take your advice & stick to the town.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise ship visit - What to do??

Kim B - So what did you choose to do? We are visiting Corfu next month, and are looking for suggestions. Considering hiring a taxi to get both a tour of the island and transport to one of the beaches.

Thanks

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
240 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise ship visit - What to do??

I would suggest a hire car rather than a taxi. My suggestion is to drive towards the north-west and aim for Afionas which is on the top of one of the headlands which poke out westwards. The drive to Afionas is half on main roads and half on Corfu style roads. The village is lovely and the views from the tavernas are stunning both to the north and the south.

Afterwards drive down to the beach resort of Agios Georgios north (only 15 mins) for a hour or 2 on the beach. Then drive up to the old village of Pagi where you turn right to climb up the 'mountain' (hill) and over the top, stopping for photos on the top. Now drive via Makrades and on down the twisty road to Paleokastritsa. The views on the way down are stupendous. You return to the port down the main road all the way.

The reason I suggest this route is that it gives you a taste of the real rural Corfu. Previously I suggested it to another US couple who followed my instructions (sent by email to the cruise ship) . They reported back that it was a wonderful trip.

6. Re: Cruise ship visit - What to do??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 05:17