We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation ratings

GLAMORGAN
Level Contributor
176 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation ratings

Having read Lockkeeper74's " October accommodation prices" recent forum input I found it posed me the question" How could you rate an accommodation that charged you £6.75p or £15.75p per person for a weeks stay? "

Even the most basic accommodation couldn't be faulted or could it?

When I give accommodation reviews I endeavour to give my rating on the hotel cost rather than the total amount of the holiday itself. I wouldn't give a restaurant a lower rating because of the costs I incurred to get there.

Interested to know other forum users views.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sidari
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation ratings

Hi GlamorganRubicon....

Sometimes you would be surprised on how travellers rate their holiday, be it accommodation or the whole holiday experience. I think it is all a matter of perception....

Some people pay bargain prices, but still expect 5 star accommodation and food! Some will rate accommodation down because they have had bad transfer times or some other experiences....It is all 'horses for courses' in the travel industry.

Most accommodation in Greece is basic, but I have found kept exceptionally clean - you are not there to spend time in your apartments......

Usually with reviews, it is best to take the average, if the reviews are generally good and above, then you can make your decision based on that and what suits you. There will be some travellers who won't give 'full marks', because that is not in their nature as nothing is 10 out of 10. There will be some travellers who rate 1 out of 10 because of either a geniune bad experience or it fell below their expectations.

Reviews can sometimes be subjective rather than objective too....When I travel abroad...a holiday is what I make of it, if I can share my experiences then I am happy to do so, whether another traveller will think the same, well that might be different. But hey....it would be a rather boring world if we all thought the same!

Fi

GLAMORGAN
Level Contributor
176 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation ratings

Hi Fi_UnitedKingdom,

It would appear we are very much on the same wavelength.

I used to be of the opinion that a location had to be perfect for a 5 rating but no longer adopt that belief.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sidari
Level Contributor
3,574 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation ratings

I agree.....probably because I used to work in the travel industry....to me, a great or lovely holiday is about the people, the culture, the food.....being around my Greek friends (having done all the tour and history bits a long time ago) enjoying their company and meeting new people too, and chilling out!

Having said that, not everyone wants to do that on holiday and it is recognising this when travellers come onto the forums or write reviews.

In the past I have couried on coach trips, for example around Europe and it has been the 'It's Tuesday, it must be Belgium' syndrome - a different town and Country over a short period of time. Sometimes it is the only way for travellers to see a lot of Europe in an organised way. Other travellers like a 'fully loaded' itinery to make the most of a holiday.

At the end of the day, it is each to their own and as long as travellers do some of their own research as to the type of holiday they want to experience, then they are more likely to get this.

Ratings are in the eye of the beholder.

Fi x

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,115 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation ratings

I think most people would mark down somewhere they were paying a shedload of money if, for instance, the crockery and cutlery were all odd, or the towels weren't fluffy - but they wouldn't mention it in a review of a budget place.

<<Ratings are in the eye of the beholder>>

says it all really. My dilemma has (fortunately in the case of accommodation) usually been whether to give them 4 or 5 blobs. I'd be much happier if it was on a score of 10, so I could score 9 for somewhere which was almost perfect!!

GLAMORGAN
Level Contributor
176 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation ratings

Hi steve_p53,

Certainly take on board your initial point however would they be justified if the greater percentage of their

" shedload of money " was travelling expenses rather than accommodation costs.

Obviously the ratings are too established to change now but I concur it would be nice to have that option to rate very good. As indicated I will generally go to the 5 now if I felt it was very good as just good would be unfair.

6. Re: Accommodation ratings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2014, 04:18
Get answers to your questions about Corfu
Recent Conversations