We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Korission - lost in the maps!

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Topic
Lake Korission - lost in the maps!

Dear lucky guys who already happen to know Corfu!

I´m preparing my travelling plan for Corfu (which already has 26 pages!) and I´m stuck figuring out how to get to Lake Korission.

As far as I have heard lake Korission is famous for having flamingoes and other beautifull birds.

As far as I´ve seen on Google maps there is no asphalt road that runs along the lake, is it so? There is a road from Agios Georgios to Halikounas beach but it seems to run a little far from the lake...is it still possible to see the lake and the birds from this road?

Or is it possible to walk from Agios Georgios to Halikounas on that beach strip between the sea and the lake? How long will it take?

Can the birds be seen in the end of May?

Thanks in advance and have a great weekend!

Glossop, United...
Level Contributor
372 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Korission - lost in the maps!

hi there, you can walk from agios gorgios to halikounas, but it's pretty heavy going as you have to walk across some dunes and lots of sand, there is a small foot bridge which crosses the opening to the sea, but it's only a couple of planks of wood.

there are quite a few tracks round the halikounas end of the lake which we got lost in last year and saw lots of wildlife.

the flamingoes are infrequent visitors to the lake, but there are quite a few other bird species in the area. black winged stilts and kentish plover breed on the lake. there are many other smaller species such as woodchat shrike, grey shrikes and golden oriole on the tracks if you're careful. plus we found a huge balkan green lizard basking in an olive tree. the tracks are best found by going down the track right next to but just before the lake as you arrive on the road at the halikounas end.

on the halikounas beach side there is a small bar where you can grab a drink.

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Korission - lost in the maps!

We drove on dirt tracks in a hire car to a car park very near the lake at the Halikounas end using the Freytag & Berndt map. The tracks were fine for a hire car.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,714 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Korission - lost in the maps!

Yes we have driven on the track between the beach and the lake, it was then a good surface and no problem to drive. It's a beautiful place and we enjoyed not only the wildlife on the lake but also some amazingly acrobatic kite surfers on the beach (which was otherwise empty).

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Korission - lost in the maps!

Jason, thank you so much!!

I´ve discovered the flamingoes stay at salt pans near Lefkimmi, I think we´ll just head there and then pass the afrternoon at Halikounas!

Glossop, United...
Level Contributor
372 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Korission - lost in the maps!

the lefkimmi salt pans are the same the flamingoes arent resident either, they only go there in passing. if you go to the lefkimmi salt pans take plenty to drink and be aware that in the first week in july last year i lost a whole great white egret in the heat haze at 10 am in the morning, so go early for good viewing conditions.

there should be a small colony of little terns on the salt pans. we also saw 3 species of gull, black winged stilts and a few species of small waders. also egrets and spoonbills

Glossop, United...
Level Contributor
372 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Korission - lost in the maps!

if you can get transport, such as a quad bike, the area round mount pantokrator is very good for wildlife particularly round paleo perithia, but it is in the north of the island

Roda, Greece
Destination Expert
for Corfu, Roda
Level Contributor
3,373 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Korission - lost in the maps!

I thought that the flamingoes were September visitors ... is that correct?

Steve

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
4,231 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lake Korission - lost in the maps!

I've seen a lot of conflicting reports!

One that seems to suggest you might get sightings in May

corfu-forum.com/forum/…

and June

…blogspot.co.uk/2013/…korission-surprise.html

But then, here's another in February

…blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/the-greater-flamingo…

Climate change??

Glossop, United...
Level Contributor
372 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lake Korission - lost in the maps!

no it's not climate change. the birds don't live there all year, they move around and breed somewhere else. so they drop in while passing

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lake Korission - lost in the maps!

Looking to travel around Corfu shopping in St step NW going to Roda Benites lefkimmi then lake korission but can't find any hotels on booking .com any ideas?