We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booking ferry

London, United...
12 posts
Save Topic
booking ferry

do you need to book a foot passenger place on the Sami-Ithaca ferry in early July?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: booking ferry

Hi there

No, not at all, just turn up at least 20 minutes prior to schedules sailing time. I've been across with a car in July and just turned up with that, and got on easily. If they are still using the "Agia Marina" on the Sami - Ithaca run, then just be aware that the toilet facilities on board are a bit grim but the ride only takes about 45-50 mins anyway.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,498 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: booking ferry

Hi penbutler,

Also be aware that you get dropped in Ithaka in the middle of nowhere. I have never seen a taxi or anything else there!

London, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: booking ferry

When you get off the ferry at Ithaka, how do you get to your hotel if no taxis? Would one need to ask hotel to send someone?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: booking ferry

Hi again

The ferry drops off at Pisa Aetos on Ithaca's west coast, from where it's a very steep climb up to the main road that links the capital Vathy to the rest of the island. You "might" find a taxi there waiting for a fare if he's dropped someone off for the ride back to Sami but you can't bank on it. I've managed to hitch a ride but that's when I've been travelling light and I guess you'll have suitcases and the like.

Your hotel will be aware of the position so give them a call and see what arrangements they can offer, after all, they can't expect guests to make their own way to their place ( where is it by the way?)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
11,996 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: booking ferry

You can't book the local ferry anyway, you have to buy tickets in the island ports. First come first served.

If the ferry is a larger mainline one then you can book. Both now seem to only call into Piso Aetos on Ithaki.

When I went there was one to vathy the main port which was no problem. Taxis should turn up for main ferry arrivals.

Edited: 03 February 2013, 14:36
London, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: booking ferry

I havent chosen my hotel. Any recommendations? I dont want a beachside resort-type huge hotel. I'd like it to be in a pretty house. do you know anything about Perantzada Art Hotel?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: booking ferry

No I don't. There's quite a choice of low key villages to stay on the island, the prettiest is Kioni, then there's Frikes, Stavros, Lefki and the little capital town Vathy, plus some very rustic villages like Anogi and Exogi. if you're happy staying in a basic room, you'll find cheap accommodation in all those places. How do you intend getting around on the island.

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,498 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: booking ferry

I was wondering that GB!

I hope you are not relying on buses penbutler!

London, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: booking ferry

I've read that there's a bus that goes round the island at irregular intervals. True? Is it very hilly? Could you bike?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: booking ferry

The bus does everything, post bus, taxi, school run and regular bus. Ithaca is amongst the most scenic islands in Greece. Some parts are less hilly than others but that depends where you stay and where you're setting off from.

Get answers to your questions about Ithaca