We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

summer 2010

Lancashire
Level Contributor
938 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
summer 2010

Hi everyone

looking to go to one of the smaller greek islands next year and would welcome any advice. My partner and I dont nightclub but do like lively area's with the option of quiet if we feel like it. We love greece but so far have been to the larger islands, crete,corfu,zante rhodes & kos. We would like help on which of the smaller islands might be ok. thanks for all and any help

Lin

west country
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: summer 2010

Hi

Have just come back from a week in Lefkas. Had a lovely time in a villa near the village of Lazarata. Very green and mountainous island, beautiful views and lovely turquoise sea. Most beaches shingles or pebbles. Not too bad re: insects, a few beetles, crickets, flies but surprisingly not one mosquito! Included in the price of our villa were a couple of what they call Class A cars (there were six of us). We picked the 2 Fiat punto's up from the airport. Cars seemed ok but on our various days out driving round the island we discovered that they really weren't good at going up hills! On a mountainous island this is a bit worrying! At one point trying to drive up a steep hill through a village, with a long stream of cars behind, our two cars came to a halt. The only way to get them up the hill was for all the passengers to get out! Very embarrassing and probably a little dangerous!.

I've been to several islands in Greece, Rhodes, Kos, Kalymnos, Skiathos, Kephalonia and now Lefkas. My favourite so far is definately Skiathos - beautiful, small island. Hope this helps.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
938 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: summer 2010

thanks John.. I have more or less decided on Skiathos anyway and have emailed Villa Apollon for details following recommendations on here. I have looked at skiathos many times but somehow just never been. We have only ever hired a car in Crete but that was def worth it. anyway thanks for your input.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: summer 2010

Thassos is a great little island and Thassos Town is an ideal base. It has a good choice of tavernas, a beach, shops and many archeological sites. you are also well situated for travelling around the island, either by car or publec transport.

The ferry over only takes 30 mins, and there is nothing like arriving at a Greek Island by ferry, magical

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: summer 2010

Hey Lin..think you made a great choice with Skiathos:-) It's a small, intimate little green isle only about 11 kilometers from one end to the other with a basic bus route taking around half an hour only and covering a coastal run and stopping at many beaches along the way! The great thing about this isle is how close it is to it's 2 neighboring Sporades isles of Skopelos and Alonissos! You can get to these in no time and make for great day trips to explore and experience some wonderful new isles! Let us know how it goes..have fun and Enjoy!

lefkas
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: summer 2010

Hi Lin

If you are looking for a really Greek island then Lefkas is the place as it only has one major resort. Nidri.Everything happens there but it isn't far to escape. There is a small sandy cove at Perigiali, behind Perigiali Beach Hotel, and there are sandy beaches on the west coast although there is no public trabsport. You either have to hire a car or take the small, personal trip that is available. This takes in the whole island including the famous west coast beaches and the high mountains.

Hopefully next year part of Nidri will be pedestrianised. Lefkas is a beautiful island. Onassis thought so when he bought Scorpios.So come one day.

Carol

Lancashire
Level Contributor
938 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: summer 2010

Hi Carol sounds as if you went and fell in love and stayed. Is it your own Shirley Valentine island ?? I will def look at Lefkas for the future even if we do go to Skiathos next year. thanks for your input. Lin

Lancashire
Level Contributor
938 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: summer 2010

sorry that should read lefkas girl x

lefkas
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: summer 2010

Yes, certanly did. Have lived here over seven years after travelling all over Greece. Not quite Shirley Valentine though. My hubby came too!

Wales
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: summer 2010

Hi Lin,

Just returned from Lefkada and stayed in the second busiest resort of Vasiliki. Great resort to base yourself at. Visited Nidri a few times and everything you would need is there. I have been to mainland Greece a few times and also to a small island of Symi (I found this a bit off the beaten track!) and I have visited Zante twice. I plan to return to Lefkada (Lefkas) again next year. An amazing island!

Lancashire
Level Contributor
938 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: summer 2010

thanks Tyrone. think we have decided on skiathos for next year but have some idea's for 2011 if things dont change before then. glad you had a good holiday. we went to rhodes last year but hadnt been for a few years prior to that so thinking its time to be going back. thanks again for input. Lin